fellow slackers
I discovered today that SuperGradStudent and the postdoc in my lab (I guess he needs a pseudonym, too) have also been slacking and coming in at 11am etc. I've been assuming they were working in the other lab (which is why my own slacking escaped detection, as well), but they had just as little to show at lab meeting as me! We have a plan now to meet at 9.30 on Monday morning, in an attempt to use peer pressure as a motivation aid. Of course, we're going to get breakfast then, not start work, but that's still good.
They've just gone home, having done no more work than me today, I think, so I'm tempted to do the same instead of trying to finish my to-do list. Maybe the peer pressure thing isn't such a good idea...
5 Comments:
I think this is really good, actually. It helps you to have a more realistic assessment of your progress if you hear about how others behave. Often I imagine these people who are totally perfect and I suck in comparison to them, but then it turns out that these people are not real. They are images I have about how I should be. When I hear how others actually behave, I forgive myself more easily for my own choices.
I definitely think it's good that you're communicating with these folks. It helps you achieve social goals (going out to breakfast! yay!) as well as professional goals (as you all encourage each other to work hard, and, hopefully, forgive yourselves for not being perfect, because no one is).
I was going to say pretty much what Brightstar already did.
If you are worried about it making you slack more, can you change into your "competitive Lucy" hat and see if you can work harder and longer than SuperGrad?
Well, I did stay and do another hour's work, so maybe I'll be okay.
It was definitely good to realise they're not so super after all and being more sociable in lab will be fun.
Finding that out about other people is always such a relief. :)
So I'm just curious: when can you be in the lab? Could you work overnight if that happened to be your preference?
As long as you get work done, it doesn't really matter when you're there (and I got away with doing no work for a long time, anyway), but it depends on lab culture, a bit. My advisor might get annoyed if he didn't see anyone in lab ever.
My lab at home had a nocturnal post-doc, though, who worked something like 5pm-3am. When he had to come early for lab meeting he'd always end up asleep in his chair.
Post a Comment
<< Home