(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

identity theft

I just freaked out briefly because a Prestigious U IP address showed up in my stats. Luckily, though, the computer was named "principal-investigator-s-computer.prestigiousu.edu" so I could google and see who it was. Then I realised that the referral came from the post publishing page and it was really me. How odd. The PI whose name is in the address is in a completely different building from me, so I'm not sure why my computer is now pretending to be his. I wonder if it's showing up like that for other people, too.

2 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger betty said...

i think something like that might have happened with people who read my first blog (oh so long ago). i didn't mind that a reader was reading because i thought, based on the name, they were in a certain lab. then later when i got my visitor that was using proxy to 'hide from me' it turned out to be the same person as before, only now the computer name was different. weird.

sometimes i wonder if statcounter/sitemeter are good for us (read: me) or bad.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Quiche said...

funny story though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home