RBOC
- Why do I forget every Monday that another lab has their group meeting at lunchtime in the conference room with the fridge where I put my lunch? I really hope it's not a 2 hour meeting this week.
- Would you let someone put a tube into your lungs for $200 plus the warm, fuzzy glow that comes from helping science?
- How about poke you with needles while you undergo an MRI?
- If you're interested in either of those opportunities, email me and I can hook you up!
- How is it that I kind of have a degree in maths, and yet figuring out how to dilute x nmol of something to 20nM took me like 20 minutes?
- I'm convinced dilutions are completely unrelated to maths in general and use a different part of the brain, which I am sadly lacking.
- It's probably the same part required for calculating tips.
- I wonder if any of the MRI people would like to test my theory.
- Why do random bullets always end up having themes?
- I guess I'm not doing so badly at the happy blogging today (I'm still happy, despite being hungry and unable to calculate dilutions).
8 Comments:
Hmmm...there are a few things I'd let strangers do to me in the name of science, but a lung-tube is not one of them. The MRI, I might consider...but not so much the poke-you-with-needles part.
Glad the happy blogging is working out, though. :)
Oh god, I just spent like half an hour calculating molarity and dilutions for a new PCR protocol. UGH.
Luckybuzz, unfortunately the straight MRIs don't pay so well, but I can let you know if any of them show up.
Dr BH, I'm glad it's not just me! (Although, I only had one calculation to do, so maybe it is...)
today i realized that i wanted a 1:100 dilution on Friday - and I did 4.5 mL of media and 50 uL of media- um that's not right....so you are not alone - but luckily the experiment didn't really work too well anyway so crappy dilutions are OK!!
I'm glad that I'm not the only one with advanced degrees who has problems calculating tips. Mr. QWP always claims that "this is why you're in history and not in math." I'm going to have to tell him that Lucy has a degree in maths and she also has trouble calculating tips! It's just that some people can do head math and some people need a piece of paper or else it'll get lost in their head.
Double the tax! (for tips)
Right now, I would let someone put a tube in my lungs. Though, I think I'd like more than $200.
I just started working in a lab that immigrated here from your school. Because they, like you, are in the hard sciences and work on things I find imconprehensible (myelin sheath? blastocytes?) and work with (read: torture) mice, I feel like I am getting a glimpse of your world. I need to blog about it (a social scientist's view of a hard science lab) as soon as I am a week bit less exhausted (y'all keep long-ass hours).
Somehow I can do maths in my head a lot better when it's not applied to either dilutions or tipping...
Shrinky, I'm not sure that works with the tax in this state. It should be some multiple of the tax, I guess, but somehow that never seems right.
And congratulations on working! I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
I've done some crazy 'drug trials'involving pill taking (not anything mind-altering though), blood tests, EEGs, and restricted diets to get money in the past so yup - if I was poor enough I would be the first in line for mere tubing and scanning =-)
I agree with shrinky, your complicated lab stuff makes my "I interview people and make them look at faces etc. for my thesis" seem easy....
Post a Comment
<< Home