(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Monday, February 19, 2007

shrinking

When I last bought jeans in September, I finally gave up on the idea that I would magically lose some of the weight I'd gained since giving up going to the gym two years earlier. I bought the pair of cords that actually fit properly at the time, instead of the ones that were just slightly too small. Maybe that acceptance was required for the magic to work, because last week I realised that the zipper and button on those pants were now entirely unnecessary for taking them on or off. Today, I'm wearing another pair of cords that I bought when I was last going to the gym. Their size is half that of the ones I just added to my pile of stuff to be donated*.
I think I'm mostly compensating for the increase in activity by eating too much sugary and/or free food, but apparently not completely. I think I did magically lose most of the weight before even starting exercising, but I have lost a little since then, too. I didn't have "lose weight" as part of my Plan, because I was trying to avoid the body issues and just focus on being healthier, but now that I'm noticing a difference, I'm kind of tempted to actually try to continue it. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.
The Plan does include not eating when I'm not hungry, though, which is when I end up eating all the sugary/free food. Presumably, if I worked on that I would lose weight, and be healthier, although, would it be bad if I weren't sufficiently hungry to maintain my weight? It's probably a better idea than cutting out all sugar and feeling deprived, anyway. Maybe I'll tie that to the stars next month.

Pointless, excited update: I just realised that if I fit into these pants, I probably also fit into my favouritest jeans ever! I'm glad I didn't give them away despite not being able to wear them for years. And now I sound like I'm in a Sex and the City episode... which is also why I didn't want to make losing weight an official goal.




*They both came from Old Navy, so that means precisely nothing, but the old ones are smaller (possibly a little too small, since I bought them when I was still assuming I would continue with my gym-going etc).

5 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Quiche said...

I think you should stick to the goal of being healthy. Or you could officially make a goal of maintaining your current clothing size. That doesn't necessarily have to correspond to weight, means you could keep all your favorite clothes, and stay healthy with out the danger of focusing on numbers on the scale. (It also gives you a little wiggle room since theoretically you'd be wearing that same size + or - at least 3 lbs.) If you *happen* to loose more weight while trying to be healthy and maintain your weight--that just means your body is naturally adjusting to its healthy size.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I agree with Lakisha. Focusing on weight loss goals always backfires on me. But focusing on generally being healthier makes me feel better about myself no matter how the jeans are fitting that day.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I see the title of this post, I think it's about me! :)

Please don't shrink anymore - otherwise I will feel like a behemoth next yo you!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

LaKisha and Phantom, I think you're right. Especially since every time I notice I've lost weight I seem to start compulsively eating...

Shrinky, the title made me think of you, too :)

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for fitting into favourite jeans! i go by clothing size too. weight is a numbers game that you can't win.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home