(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Monday, March 12, 2007

physical

I finally had my physical, scheduled when I started The Plan in January, today. I didn't think I'd had one before, but apparently it's just a fancy name for the say-aah-deep-breath routine the doctor did every time I went for anything else as a kid. I'm sure at least two people in my class complained of being subjected to blood tests and follow up appointments, though, so did I miss out on something or am I just healthier than they are?
I discovered that I'm an inch shorter than the height I've been claiming (although, that number was arrived at by guessing at a number of centimetres when I got my learner's permit, aged 17, and then roughly converting to feet and inches in my head, so I knew it wasn't accurate).
I got referred to a dermatologist for a couple of not-alarming-but-not-entirely-innocuous-looking moles (yay for growing up in the skin cancer capital of the world!) and the doctor suggested that perhaps going to the gym 5 days a week, rather than 7, would be sufficient, but other than that, I'm fine.
Apparently, I'm a good candidate for the HPV vaccine, at least for the month remaining before I turn 27. It costs $450, though. I know, small price to pay to avoid getting cancer, but if I were at home, it would only cost $92, and those would be little, C'landian dollars, too. Actually, if I were a PhD student there, it would be less than $15! Stupid American healthcare system... At least I can get my program to subsidise part of it, I think.

4 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger pjm said...

Yeah, depending on what your goals are, 5 is sufficient, but if 7 makes you feel good, go 7. Be aware that the "training response" is working while you're resting, though, so if you're getting worn out from 7 days you might want to build in a rest day here and there.

As far as blood work, I get tagged when I go in because I've been flagged previously for an issue (controlled by exercise) which is monitored through blood tests. I imagine if you haven't been previously noted as having issues in this area, or didn't answer the questions on the pre-screen the right/wrong way, they don't see the need to incur the expense.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I don't really have any goals for going to the gym, other than going... I'm not doing anything too strenuous, anyway, so I think I'll be okay. Maybe if I'm convinced I can keep going, even if I miss days, I'll go down to 5 or something.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--I'm so impressed you've been going to the gym every day!

The cost of the HPV vaccine makes me really angry...guess if you're un- or underinsured (and don't happen to have an extra $450 lying around), you just have to take your chances. Grrr. That's about as articulate as I can get, but grrrr. Anyway--would be awesome if you can get some of that subsidized!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Yeah, I felt bad whining for myself, when I am able to pay the $450. I just read that it's actually free at home to all women 12-26. The difference in cost for people on low incomes here and at home is disgusting. At least there's one area I don't have to be ashamed of my govt's behaviour lately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home