shrinking, again
Yesterday I realised I could go down to the last notch on my belt, so today I weighed myself at the gym and was down something like 5 pounds since the last time I weighed myself. LaKisha, commented on the last shrinking post, asking if I was eating enough, and I thought I was, because I'm eating when I'm hungry, and then some. I just went and calculated how many calories I've been eating and burning, though, and apparently I have a 700-800 calorie deficit each day. I hadn't been counting the 30-40 minutes I walk to and from lab every day either, so am I doing too much exercise?
I feel kind of obnoxious posting about this, because it's not supposed to be this easy to lose weight. Last time I was going to the gym, I was actually trying to lose weight and exercising made me way hungrier. When the doctor asked about how often I've been exercising and whether I was losing weight, because going to the gym every single day is a warning sign for an eating disorder, I tried to reassure her by saying that my goal wasn't to lose weight and I hadn't changed how I was eating. I guess I should have increased how much I eat, though. Plus, I also started bringing my lunch from home and cooking dinner, so I guess I did change what I eat a fair bit. It's hard to make a lunch that contains as many calories as pizza/chips/cake from the cafeteria... I mostly meant it when I said I wasn't specifically trying to lose weight, but it does make me kind of happy, so I don't really want to stop yet. I'm not losing weight unreasonably fast and it's not like I'm even remotely close to being underweight, but at some point should I start drinking cream in a cup?
7 Comments:
That's what happened to me when I stopped with the sugar: I thought I was eating all the time, and then when I calculated things, I had a big calorie deficit.
I recommend putting cheese in everything :)
You are a vegetarian correct?
You might want to drink a protein shake before or after working out to add some extra calories to your diet. You can buy mixes at health food stores or you can make your own with fruit, yougurt, and protein powder.
That is a big calorie deficit. I'm surprised you're not more hungry more often.
I don't think you need to panic, or anything... just make sure you can stop at some point.
Bringing lunch rather than buying it does make a big difference, or at least it always did for me.
Oh, and I don't think you should cut down on the exercise. At least not for that reason. Exercising uses up far fewer calories than most people believe, so cutting back on it won't do much towards your calorie deficit (nothing an extra timtam wouldn't do, anyway), and it's possible the exercise actually stimulates your appetite, so that if you stopped exercising so much, you might eat even less.
But if you find yourself getting extra tired, or not recovering from a workout quickly, you might want to start giving yourself a couple of exercise-free/low-exercise days a week for that reason.
Baby Blue has started refusing teh cream, so if you need any cream in a cup, we've got extra.
Personally, I think if you're eating when you're hungry, have energy, feel good, and your hair's not coming out in clumps, you're probably fine.
I think you should increase your calories a little bit. Not a lot, but a little. Maybe an extra 200-300 calories a day. Try the protein shake thing, which will help tone your muscles that you are working on when you exercise. Or try eating a protein bar like a luna, balance bar etc. You can eat them before or after your workout as Twirly suggested which I think is perfect.
Post a Comment
<< Home