(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Saturday, April 21, 2007

ammunition

I saw the Neil LaBute play Fat Pig recently, and while the story about an image-conscious guy dating an overweight woman was kind of interesting, what stuck with me was just the way the characters interacted, or rather my reaction to it. I kept cringing at their directness and openness with their feelings and then being surprised that there didn’t seem to be any negative consequences.
One character, when she felt she’d been wronged by another, had no hesitation in yelling at him in public and in great detail about everything he did to upset her. The man she was yelling at was embarrassed, but it was her I felt afraid for, opening herself up like that and letting him see how much he’d affected her.
Watching the main couple progress from strangers to being a couple, I could almost see how it was done, but then every time the woman said something about how much she liked the man or asked him for reassurance, I was thinking “Are you crazy? You’re just handing him all that power over you!”
I know they’re fictional characters in a play, and their shallowness didn’t really add to their believability, but my reaction was kind of revelatory. I hadn’t realised so clearly that the/a reason I find it so hard to talk is that it feels like anything I tell someone is a piece of ammunition that can be used against me. It takes a fair amount of trust to say anything, even if it is just what I did this week. (You’re taking a photography class? You think you can do something creative? Don’t be ridiculous. Or maybe you’re trying to meet people, or fill in some time, since you have no friends to hang out with. That’s pathetic. Shouldn’t you be spending more time doing actual work, anyway?*) I can’t say anything in therapy because just being there is admitting far more than feels safe.
I often find myself thinking up excuses for doing things that might be more valid, or more resistant to negative interpretations, than my real reasons. I know enough not to offer these explanations unless someone asks, and rarely is anyone even interested, but I still feel the need to justify myself a lot.** My dad used to ask me what I was thinking fairly frequently, so when I was around him, I’d sometimes try to think of suitable answers in advance, just in case he asked. I’d just have to make something up, anyway, since all existing thoughts tend to vanish completely in the panic at being asked. The panic is probably a defence mechanism to avoid having to admit to whatever I was thinking about, and it works; I can only occasionally reconstruct my previous thoughts.
I guess I know where this came from. My mum was always very conscious of what other people thought. I remember being comforted briefly by my dad telling me “what other people think of me is none of my business”, until I offered that defence the next time my mum was telling me the latest appearance that needed keeping up and she dismissed it by saying “he would say that; he has no clue***”. My brother would use the ammunition himself, rather than just describing the damage others could do.
Revelations are all well and good, but yet again, I’m left knowing what the problem is and still not being able to do anything about it…



* Incidentally, I’m dreading the portraiture section of the photography class. I didn’t sign up for the optional session with a model (and I’m contemplating just skipping the homework) because the instructor is interested in our interactions with the subject of the portraits. Apparently the model would critique our interactions with her; I can’t imagine anything worse.

** Right now, I’m wondering if I need an excuse for being up so late, since I can hear a housemate out in the kitchen. She doesn’t need to explain why she’s up, of course.

*** My dad’s diagnosis with Asperger’s meant that his view of the importance of other people’s opinions was seen as the abnormal one. It took a long time for me to realise they were probably both equally far from the mean.

5 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Revelations are all well and good, but yet again, I’m left knowing what the problem is and still not being able to do anything about it…

I think it still constitutes progress, though. I hope that eventually you (maybe with the help of your therapist if you are able to express any of this to her) can see a way to use this knowledge to help yourself.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger post-doc said...

The process of learning who to trust and how much to share is a difficult one for some of us. I think you are making progress though - StyleyGeek is normally right, after all. :) The right therapist could help you work through some of the family stuff, but only when you're ready and only with someone you trust.

The thing is, dear Lucy, that I can't see you doing false intimacy. If someone makes his way past your defenses, then he'll be in and he will have a good deal of power. Learning to allow, then embrace, that isn't at all trivial. And I don't think you should feel badly that it's not easy for you.

Oh, and the model thing sounds awful for class. Poor thing. I can't even offer encouragement there because I so would not do that. :)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I guess I haven't really thought about how sharing yourself with someone gives them power over you... I mean, I never really thought about it so explicitly. The reason why I haven't really thought about it that way (good insight! it's really making me think!) is that I think I implicitly have found that it's usually mutual. If I share a lot, people share a lot back. I think I've blogged before (maybe a long time ago...) that it's through making ourselves vulnerable to others that we can connect with one another. So, I guess I think the advantage to opening ourselves up is that people will feel closer to me if I share, and they will be willing to share more about themselves in return. I think people don't take the power and use it in a harmful way, but instead they return some of the power back and give you power over them, too. I mean, not always... but often enough for me to think it's worth it, I guess.

Also, I think I've been hurt so much (by a parent, by previous relationships) and then survived that I figure that not much is going to hurt me more than those people have, so I might as well be open with people... Then again, I think there is this part of me that I do keep closed off from everyone as a defense mechanism, so I do identify with what you mean about protecting yourself. It's complicated...

Ultimately, though, I do think that being hurt is unavoidable in relationships. That's pretty much my world view. I know it's pessimistic, but there you go. I guess I just assume people will hurt me, and I seek relationships, anyhow. I think I assume that the good parts are worth it? Or I'm self destructive? Not sure...

Anyhow, I get why you would want to protect yourself from being hurt. Maybe it will take the right series of interactions with someone for you to feel safe with them.

I can't imagine what the model would be able to critique about the photographer's interactions. ??? That's weird. Could you take a portrait of a stuffed animal or something? Or of a roommate that you're friends with?

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Quiche said...

I agree with everyone. And brightstar has a very good point--that when you open up so do others. It is a two way relationship and that power you are afraid of also goes both ways...you have power too.

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm exactly the same way. It's a wonder we were able to converse at all when you were here :)

Something to consider: this is a good reason to use your shrink. The idea is that you try out disclosing stuff to her, observe her not using it against you (one hopes), and become more comfortable with being open.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home