birthday anxiety
As you may have noticed from my last couple of posts, I've been struggling with social anxiety stuff this week. I think it's at least partly related to my impending birthday. I wanted to do something to celebrate, because I've been feeling so much better this year, compared to the last two years when I was miserable and just wanted to hide and ignore it. Unfortunately, I've realised that the depression might be better, but my anxiety is not, and that's making me feel sad again.
I'm anxious about trying to celebrate my birthday because it feels too demanding to ask people to do something with me. It's in the middle of the week, so people are busy and I live kind of far from my classmates, so it'd be inconvenient for them. Plus, I hardly ever see the classmates I'd like to invite so it seems selfish to ask them to do something now. And I have been spending more time with my housemates instead of hiding in my room, but I don't feel like I'm as good friends with the rest of them as they are with each other and they'd just feel obliged to say yes if I invited them to do something. I guess I feel like using my birthday as an excuse is kind of a guilt trip, because people don't generally respond when I suggest things to do at other times, so if they did say yes this time, it would just be because they felt sorry for me, or something.
My mum called last night and asked what I was going to do, so I'll feel bad if I don't have something to tell her about my actual birthday. My house traditionally makes cake for birthdays, though, so there will be that. My mum also asked if I'd opened my birthday package yet, as if I'd open it on some random day and then have nothing birthday-ish left on the day itself.
My birthday is tomorrow, so presumably it's too late to try to organise anything, anyway. Maybe I'll see if anyone wants to go to the movie we were talking about seeing, though.
13 Comments:
I hate inviting people to do things too. On days like my birthday or New Year's or the like, I always feel painfully lonely and awkward since I avoid making plans. I'm so sorry you struggle with the same issues.
I wish I had advice. I hope you ask someone to do something - a movie, dinner, cake. Do try to remember that you're doing so well overall! I really am sorry. I understand completely and it's an awful feeling.
I think you should do what YOU really want. If that means you want to go to a movie - I think you should suggest it...I bet your housemates would want to go more than you ever think they would. Mention it sooner rather than later - you can do it in a totally casual way such as - "I think for my birthday I'm going to take myself to see XX does anyone want to come with...."
If that doesn't work out - make sure you go anyway!
Oooooooh! It's TOMORROW??? (I don't leave until Thursday!) Can I PLEASE take you out for a birthday lunch tomorrow? Email is coming...I LOVE BIRTHDAYS. :)
I wish I could go to the birthday lunch!
I was going to suggest just doing an easy b-day dinner somewhere, but after reading Luckybuzzzzz's comment, I guess that is kinda covered.
What Bright Star said!
Katie, I'm sorry you struggle with this, too. Someone needs to come up with a teleportation device so we can have blog-friend birthday parties.
Twirly, I did just send an email to the housemate I'd talked about going to a movie sometime with.
Luckybuzz, thanks. You rock. :)
B* and Phantom (and the rest of you), I wish you could come, too!
you know, you don't have to go out ON your birthday to do something FOR your birthday. so it's not too late! just ask people for thursday (that's my favorite going out night) or this weekend. and your friends you never see would probably LOVE an excuse to get together.
happy birthday!
Happy Birthday! I understand your anxiety - I never plan my own birthday parties. I have a pity party leading up to it instead. Is there someone you can ask to throw something together for you? If my friend didn't plan my birthday dinner, it wouldn't happen.
I want to come to the moooooovie!
Thanks for the birthday wishes. :)
I think I might just try to do something non-birthday-related with the people I never see, Betty.
Psycgirl, if I could ask someone that, I probably wouldn't be having so much trouble with this in general...
Shrinky, what should we see? I was thinking Hot Fuzz (I'm not sure about police movies, but I love the TV show the same people did) or Year of the Dog.
Sometimes I am too exhausted to go out on my birthday, and I just carry in. I make sure to get balloons and some cheesy decorations to make it feel like a true celebration. This also eliminates the fear that no one will come! Another idea is to have a party over the summer once everyone has more free time. Then it's like you're extending your birthday from one day into an entire season.
I like you usually prefer to hide away on my birthday so congratulations on your actually wanting to possibly do something this year to mark the day. My birthday is three days away and I can already feel the anxiety building somewhere in the pit of me I wish I could make it go away! I'm a fairly happy person other than my birthday and christmas; maybe a dr. could hook me up just twice a year with something...?
Post a Comment
<< Home