(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, April 26, 2007

spoiled

I had a very happy birthday yesterday. Thank you for all your birthday wishes! :) Look at (almost) all the cool stuff I got (there are notes on the flickr page):


IMG_8853

There was a mysterious Amazon package waiting for me when I got home on Tuesday, which turned out to be my Dad's present (the books on the left of the photo). I saved my Mum's package until yesterday morning and it was full of cool stuff. The cupcakes in the recipe book look amazing. The pink pyjamas have incredibly cute penguins on them. She also sent me a CD of Winnie the Pooh stories, continuing to convince me that she wishes I were 5. Winnie the Pooh is awesome, though, so I'm happy.
Luckybuzz took me to lunch, which was very yummy and fun, and gave me the Where the Wild Things Are card, with stickers to recreate scenes from the book (and you know how much I like playing with stickers) and the magnet underneath that says "Nothing is too wonderful to be true".
I was supposed to meet my advisor to talk about a grant in the morning, but when I went to his office he said he had to do something so he'd find me later. After I came back from lunch, the meeting turned out to be partially an excuse to pin me down for cake with the lab. SuperGradStudent gave me "What is the What", too.
Then I went to a seminar, which was the worst part of my day, but not that bad. The person next to me at a seminar spilled his full cup of coffee in my lap, on my favourite jeans, too. Luckily, it wasn't hot enough to burn, but I did end up smelling like coffee (which I can't stand) the rest of the day.
In the evening I went to the movies with some housemates. We saw Hot Fuzz, which was very funny, even if I hadn't seen enough of the parodied movies to get all the references.
After we got home my housemates spent some time whispering furtively and generally being secretive, before making up a lame excuse about someone needing help with something in the dining room and bringing out cake. It was incredibly yummy (homemade) cheesecake and they also got me a subscription to McSweeney's Quarterly Concern and chocolates from my favourite chocolate place (including the almost-too-cute-to-eat mice in the photo).
These socks were also a gift, to go with my C'landian flag socks that I wore yesterday in honour of ANZAC day.
My friend who was visiting here in January called me from Singapore and so did my brother who's working on a yacht in the Mediterranean, as well as my Mum. And I got emails and text messages from other people.
I feel very spoiled, and happy.

I went to the gym and did some work yesterday, but I didn't have enough time between the fun stuff for a whole star's worth. I can take a holiday for my birthday, though, can't I, Official Star Arbitrator? :)

11 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Not spoiled! You deserve all that. Many happy returns!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

yay! It sounds like a great birthday (other than coffee spillage).

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

Aw...I'm so pleased you had such a good day! It sounds like the people around you did just what you deserved! :)

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

Sounds great! And I loooove those mice, even though it feels cruel to eat them. :)

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have been a very good girl!

Are they the same mice you got me? Did you get a coconut one? So yummy.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Thanks. :) You all spoil me, too, with your nice comments.

Shrinky, yes! I can't tell what flavours they are, though, so it will have to be a surprise.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger betty said...

happy late birthday! what is the what is good - i'd like to hear what you thought of it. i just finished 'special topics in calamity physics' btw and it didn have a weird ending but i liked it over all. the writing was annoying though.

anyway, glad you had a good day. hooray for birthdays!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Wow, that sounds like a super day, and I am glad for you because you totally deserved it.

My birthday just started and reading this is making me feel competitive :)

It's good to have warning about the coffee, though: I too have to attend a seminar this morning and somehow I feel a need to avoid anyone with coffee...

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

That is a very pleasant birthday. And I agree with Phantom; it's not spoiling you if you deserve it.

And, seriously, is April the month of everyone's birthdays? Except for mine? I used to get "Not To Be Left Out Presents" in April, because I was the only kid in my family without an April birthday. My siblings did not like that. (I would then remind them that I frequently got birthday/Christmas presents, which would be the same size as the regular birthday presents they got, and so they could go sit on a tack.)

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

What the others said...you weren't spoiled, you deserved all the wonderful things that your birthday brought to you.

Belated happy birthday...I hope that you have a wonderful year ahead. :)

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! And happy blogiversary, too.

I'm so glad you had such a great day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home