alternative thoughts
So the next exercise is to come up with alternatives for your anxious thoughts. Styleygeek already gave me some helpful suggestions, thanks! I'm still more reluctant to write this out, though...
Saturday:
A tourist asked me to take their photo. Should I have given her more warning that I was taking the photo? What if it doesn't work out? She's going to think I'm an idiot for messing up her photo and ruining her memento of her trip.
Alternative: It probably worked, anyway. It was a point and shoot camera so it's not like I could've done anything to make the photo better. She was probably grateful to get her photo taken at all. It's only one photo, so if it doesn't work out it's not that big a deal.
A guy fell off his motorcycle in front of me as I was walking. He wasn't hurt and a couple of other people asked if he needed anything, but I should've stopped to ask if he was okay or done something to help. I'm so selfish and lazy and rude.
Alternative: I did slow down until he got up and was obviously okay. He didn't seem to want any help, anyway. He was probably embarrassed (he just fell over while turning the corner) and didn't want anyone else even noticing him.
I had to go to lab and was there at around 8pm. A few people I kind of know were going in just ahead of me. I said hi and chatted a bit all right, but they must have thought I was lame for being there on a Saturday night (they were just there to pick up someone's cell phone on their way to something fun). I followed them into the lift, even though I was only going up one floor. They must have thought I was weird for following them and so lazy for not just walking up the stairs.
Alternative: There were plenty of other people in the lab too, so it's reasonable to have to do labwork at that time of day. And I was carrying a bunch of stuff so they probably just thought I didn't want to have to deal with the doors, if they even thought about it at all.
I just sat down next to a housemate to use my laptop. I said hi, but nothing else. I'm so anti-social and I never have anything to say.
Alternative: She was on her laptop too, so she probably didn't want to be disturbed. She could've said something if she wanted to talk. I'm not sure about an alternative to "I never have anything to say"... I guess I occasionally have something to say, even if it's not very often. That's better than nothing...
I have to call my grandmother for mother's day and ask about going to visit her. I won't have anything to say and I'll probably speak too quietly. I should've spoken to her more recently, too. I'm such a bad person.
Alternative: I don't have to talk for very long if I have nothing to say, but she'll probably appreciate that I called, even if I don't say anything very interesting. It would've been better if I'd been in contact more often, but I can't do anything about that now. Um... I guess I can't be that bad if I'm going to call at all.
I would put some anxious thoughts about the blogger meetup, but I was absolved of the need to overanalyse it, so I won't. It was lots of fun, anyway.
Labels: people are scary
3 Comments:
I love the alternative thoughts, and I really do think it's awesome that you're doing this. (And I am also thrilled about the absolution from freaking out about the meetup.) :)
I think it's important to do the alternative thoughts technique. I make myself do this a lot. It helps.
What luckybuzz said!
Post a Comment
<< Home