going home
I keep forgetting how soon it is that I'm going home. I leave next Friday. I wasn't thinking I had much to organise, anyway, but now I need some advice.
The main reason I'm going home now is for my little brother's 21st. 21st birthdays are stilll a big deal, leftover from the days when the voting,drinking etc age was 21, rather than 18. I've no idea what to get my brother, though. Usually he's pretty easy to shop for, but that's only if I get him something kind of silly and fun. I would rather get him something more significant than a t-shirt or gadget, though. Any ideas? (I know, kind of hard without knowing anything about him, but suggestions would be appreciated, anyway)
The other thing I need help with is finding books to read during my 29 hour trip home. I haven't been doing very well at picking my own books lately, and an aeroplane is not the place to try something I'm not enthusiastic about. Usually I save a book I've been looking forward to reading, but I can't think of anything like that now.
If you want a postcard from somewhere on my travels, email me your address. Maybe I should offer a prize for the best suggestions, too. :)
7 Comments:
I have no brilliant suggestions, I'm afraid. The only thing I got for my 21st birthday was a week in hospital with a gallbladder infection. And I don't suggest giving him one of those.
Tales from the Garden, Catherynne Valente (may have recommended this already).
Erik Larson, Devil in the White City. (nf)
Ruth Reichl, Garlic & Sapphires (nf)
That Nathaniel Philbrick about whales (nf).
City of Shadows, Arianna Franklin (for when you're tired or into an easy read)
In a similar vein, the books by Carol Goodman.
Jonathan Coe -- Winshaw Legacy, and some book about sleep, or something, I forget the name too.
Jasper Fforde's books
Most of Jonathan Carroll's books.
Sparrow, Mary Doria Russell.
Alphabet of Thorn.
Thirteenth Tale
China Mieville's books, if you've not read him.
There are lots of gift ideas here:
http://mightygoods.com/
I can't even tell what letters they want me to type for word verification - fancy font and all!
The tales of the city series by Armisted Maupin have just been released. It has been a while since I read them - but at the time I just adored them.
Aeroplanes (love that spelling!) are a great place to reread the Harry Potter series!
Also, when Curtis Sittenfeld was here, she recommended 2 books: Oh the glory of it all by Sean Willsey (his mother just wrote a rebuttal) and The art of seeing (can't remember if that is the actual title) by Cammie McGovern. I've not read either.
Finally, did you ever read The secret history by Donna Tartt (I think I recommended it a long time ago) - it would be a good plane read.
Generally, books by Jodi Picoult are good airplane reads, because they suck you in. I'd recommend "My Sister's Keeper" if you haven't read it.
If you haven't read Eat, Pray, Love yet I suggest that. It is perfect for plane reading. I also suggest The Narrows by Ann Petry. It is long but the end goes really quick.
I loved that donna tartt book - shrinky!
I'd vote for "perfect match" or "keeping faith" for Jodi picoult aeroplane reads =o)
Post a Comment
<< Home