bored
I'm feeling kind of aimless this evening. Nobody else is home, which is unusual, so I'm feeling like I should be out doing something fun, too. I should make more of an effort to organise fun and/or sociable things (I know... I've written that before). I would almost even want to call someone just to chat, if I knew someone I could be sure I wasn't bothering.
Last time I saw the therapist, she asked about friends I'd seen at home and I told her I'd called them to organise things to do together. She asked why I don't ever call anyone here. Partly it was just that I didn't have internet at home, so I couldn't email to arrange meeting up, but I think I also don't have the same kind of friends here.
I don't really socialise outside of people I live with, one friend from home who's also here and bloggers. I'll sometimes call the friend from home, or she'll call me, but otherwise I rarely talk on the phone. Because I see the people I live with relatively frequently (at least, in theory), when we do stuff, it's generally more focussed on some activity, whereas at home I'd arrange to get together with friends just to catch up and talk.
I wish I'd done a better job of making those kinds of friends here. I'm still sad that none of the people in my program emailed me back after the last time I suggested getting together. I don't blame them, though. They've developed closer friendships with each other, so why do they need me popping up occasionally to try to join in? I'm not sure what I should've done differently so that I'd be included.
I didn't have a cell phone for most of the first year I was here, so I missed out on a lot of the impromptu social activities, and the opportunity to get into a pattern of keeping in touch with people, when they would've been more willing to include me. Now, they don't expect me to be involved.
When I said I didn't like calling people just to chat because I worried that I'd just be bothering them, the therapist suggested that I should trust people to not answer their phone if they didn't want to talk. I don't think it's that simple, though. It's not so much that I worry about calling at an inconvenient time, more that the person might not want to talk to me at all, or would think it was weird that I would call.
I can't remember how I got to be friends with people at home. I know I made a conscious effort to make friends with my best friend at home. I didn't know anyone in most of my lectures in 3rd year at uni, because I was doing a weird course that was out of sync with the people I already knew, so I made a point of talking to the people I sat next to and trying to find them to sit next to again (kind of hard in a class of several hundred). I'm not sure how I got from sitting with her in class to actually being friends, though, especially since my in-class friendships in other classes didn't translate. I wish there were some rules to follow...
At this point, I feel like most people I know think I'm just generally anti-social, so changing their opinions seems daunting. Maybe it would be easier to start over with new friends, except that I wouldn't know how I'd go about meeting new people, and then I'd have the same trouble with trying to be more sociable, anyway.
A housemate and friends just came home to pick up drinks before going to their second fun thing of the evening and I'm sitting here with my laptop. I feel lame... I should stop dwelling, anyway. And, I just got a text message, so I should stop complaining.
7 Comments:
Hi Lucy,
I hear you on the emailing/blogging on a friday night and thinking that you're a loser and everyone else is out having fun. But on this particular friday, at least there were 2 of us - right?
In terms of making friends, I find it hard to do that as well. It's sometimes useful to do something that you know people are already doing, like eating lunch & ask them to join you. I still get shy about that kind of thing though.
Your labmates? maybe they didn't get the email?
anyway, if you were in NZ, I'd be glad to get a phone call from you =o)
Aw--I'd have been glad to get a phone call from you, too. (And I really do think that people just don't answer their phones if it's inconvenient or they don't want to talk then...that's the beauty of caller ID, right?)
And this:
"I wish there were some rules to follow..."
Oh, sister, I hear you on that one. :)
I lived in Utah for the past 2 and a half years. Then of course this summer I moved to the sheep farm outside of the town I'd been living in and my friend Kristina moved to Phoenix. And about a month later I was sitting in my crappy camper, bored out of my mind, and realized that Kristina had been the only person I ever hung out with except for my middle-aged neighbors who had kids almost as old as me--our dogs would play in their back yard. There was not a single former coworker I could call, not a single other person I'd made enough of a connection with to just call and say "Hey, I'm bored. Can I come over?"
Right now I'm in that honeymoon period where I've just moved somewhere so I can blame my lack of a social life on being new to town. That will wear off soon. I have found that I make friends--good friends that I might call outside of work--at the rate of maybe 1 per year, and it seems like just as I'm about to increase my social circle by one, someone moves and it cancels out.
But hey--at least it still occurs to you that you OUGHT to be out doing something on a Friday night. I am startled sometimes to realize it's a Friday or Saturday and that single people my age are expected to go do exciting things with other people outside of their homes. Someone asked me if I'd "gone out" in Vegas yesterday and it took me a few seconds to figure out what she meant.
Also, I can't bring myself to call people. I don't know why--it causes insane anxiety and I freak out and am convinced I'll be bothering them and that if they wanted to be talking to me they would have called already. So I don't call people.
SJ, thanks. :) I can (sometimes) do things like ask people to have lunch with me, but I feel kind of hopeless about getting to the point where I could call and, as Gwen said, say "I'm bored, can I come over?"
Luckybuzz, even if the person I called could just ignore me, I'd still worry that they would be thinking "Ugh, why is she calling me? Why would she think I'd want to talk to her?"
Gwen, I probably wouldn't have noticed that I was supposed to be out either, if it hadn't been unusually quiet at home. Otherwise I probably would've been hiding in my room, anyway...
That's exactly why I don't call people, too. Then I also get to feel bad about making other people always be the one to call.
And, friends really should not be allowed to move away.
I hope you have better luck making friends in Vegas.
My friend Clint always has to call me, and when I explain that I don't call b/c I assume if he hadn't already called me then it would be a bad time to talk, he's like "You're INSANE. If it was a bad time, I'd either not answer or I'd ask if I could call you back. That's what friends do." We have had this discussion thousands of times. And yet I still can't call. Just like you, one of my worst fears is that I'd just be chatting away and the person on the other end would be trying to think of a way to end the conversation. This means my phone conversations are also peppered with lots of me going "I didn't have anything important to say, so if you need to go or anything, that's fine."
I am sure that it is infuriating/perplexing to have friends like us.
I know how you feel, Lucy. I was really social in college, but now that I live by myself and am at the dissertation writing stage, I feel like I don't have any close comrades. I used to try and call people up on Friday nights, but I didn't get much of a response either. So, hang in there...you're not the only one navigating these strange waters. Don't let them get ya down!
Gwen, I'm sure I'm a horribly irritating person to try to be friends with. It's kind of sad to think that I might miss out on being friends with cool people because they might be waiting for me to call...
TeachingClio, it is heartening to hear I'm not the only one, but also sad. I hope you get a better response in future!
Post a Comment
<< Home