(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Monday, July 23, 2007

this explains all those angelic meme results

"What’s so admirable about inoffensiveness, I should like to know. After all, it’s easily achieved. One needs no particular talent to be polite. On the contrary, being nice is what’s left when you’ve failed at everything else. People with ambition don’t give a damn what other people think about them. I hardly suppose Wagner lost sleep worrying whether he’d hurt someone’s feelings. But then he was a genius."

Diane Setterfield (The Thirteenth Tale*)


*Which I'm enjoying very much. Thanks to Katie for mentioning it!

3 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

I'm so glad you're reading it! I absolutely adored the audiobook and will likely go back and read the novel. But the language and story and everything just... Well, I liked it very much and hoped you would read it. :)

I think it's important to remember that Miss Winter was a genius, but she was hardly well-loved. I admire kindness and manners a tremendous amount - it takes energy to take care with people's feelings and to consider the consequences of your statements. At least I think so.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"being nice is what’s left when you’ve failed at everything else."

Love it. Couldn't live it, but I like the sound of it. :)

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Luckybuzz, I realised that in my case it's more "being nice is what's left when you're too scared to try anything else"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home