(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

free time

Today I completed all my work and reading by 3pm! I would be happier about that if I hadn't achieved it by getting to lab at 8.15am, and if I'd made it to the gym... Still, it was nice to be done so early, instead of dragging it out all day and late into the evening. I'm not sure what I'd do with all my free time if I did that more regularly, though. The one day last week when I finished by 7pm, I ended up going to bed at 9. I did need to catch up on sleep, but perhaps I should also find some more useful/entertaining way to spend leisure time.
The reason I finished early today was so that I could go to a housemate's thesis defence. I'd be feeling more inadequate in comparison if he hadn't spent the whole four years we've been here working until 10pm every night. After getting home from the defence and subsequent celebrations, he was feeling a bit at a loose end now that his thesis is done. His response, rather than to just sleep and laze around all day tomorrow (as mine would be), was to plan to clean the kitchen and get a haircut...
I was trying to suggest fun things he could do now that he's finished, but I couldn't come up with anything much. What do productive people do with all their free time? If I had fun things planned, maybe I'd be less likely to string out my working hours by endlessly hitting refresh and playing minesweeper (I'm ashamed to admit I broke my expert level record yesterday).

I also realised today that my Personal Olympics goals are way too ambitious, because my recorded time working doesn't include seminars and meetings. The previous months also haven't included time spent reading, although I did start counting that. I'm revising the goals to 130 for bronze, 150 for silver and 175 for gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home