(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, August 12, 2007

putting my brain to good use

When I was in grade nine, my geography teacher used to start each lesson by putting up an overhead of Africa or South America and getting us to find countries as he named them. I liked those activities a lot better than the stuff about Lesser Developed Countries that made up the actual syllabus. Perhaps it's not surprising then that I've become somewhat obsessed with these games where you have to try to list countries/states in ten minutes. I can now fairly reliably list all the European (although I keep forgetting Italy for some reason) and African countries. I learnt another 70-something countries today, so my high score on the UN nations one is up to 180 out of 192. If there were a game like this to learn where they are all located, that would be even better. Or perhaps not.
Don't worry; I didn't spend all day memorising countries. I also went cycling with a housemate, which was fun.

3 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger TitleTroubles said...

Ah, but there is such a game. At that very site, in fact.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.php

Not so good for those of us with a procrastinatory bent, however.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Awesome! I should've looked. Thanks :) Although, perhaps I'll be cursing you later...

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very poor in remaining countries and states, technically in geography. I wonder how could you remember all those things. I've checked the game, sheppardsoftware proved that I'm very poor in such things...
draw tickets

 

Post a Comment

<< Home