(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I don't get it

A new post-doc I'm working has a bizarre preference for talking on the phone instead of by email. I just had a 6-email conversation with him where he kept ducking my questions in favour of arranging when I could call him. Grr! It's not like I had complicated questions. We didn't need to discuss anything. To make things worse, I find him hard to read on the phone so there are all these awkward pauses where I think we've finished everything we needed to say, but I can't tell if he has more to talk about or is expecting me to bring up something else. Email is so much easier!

5 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, email is easier. I don't know about your coworker, but sometimes I'd rather just TALK than write . . . but then, I write and read all day long sometimes. But that's just me . . . :-)

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, I'm all about the email. I used to talk on the phone...back in high school! But now I prefer to shoot off emails for just about everything. Calling people makes me nervous for some reason...plus, it's just easier to get out everything you want to say without being interrupted or forgetting something in an email!

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I do NOT get that either. My ultimate most-hated-thing is when people email and say, "let's just talk on the phone." Grrrrr. Gives me fist-making feelings.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Kirsty said...

The phone? How old-skool. Are you sure they're working on the cutting edge of science there? Maybe you can suggest text messaging as a kind of compromise : p

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get that either. Email is (should be?) so much easier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home