(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

the most horrifying thing I've read in a long time

"Over a 13-month period, Nilsen scratched and scratched, despite her best efforts not to and despite her horror at the growing lesions she saw in the mirror. At the time, Nilsen says, she had no idea that the damage she was doing to herself was more than skin deep, but she ended up in a Boston emergency room with brain tissue protruding through a hole she'd scratched in her skull."


Follow the link for a photo of the x-ray of her skull with a surprisingly enormous hole in it. I'd put it here for those of you without subscription access, but I'm not sure you'd thank me.

5 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger TitleTroubles said...

For even more fun, check out the article about her in Pain, 2002. They show a picture of the hole in her forehead, which she's continuing to scratch even in the hospital.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Cee said...

Uurrrgh.

I'm so glad I can't see that article. Or that picture. That description gave me the shivers. And now my head's itching. Argh!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

ewwwwwwwww

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o my god.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

Oh, gross. I can't see the article/photo either, for which I'm glad. It reminds me about a creepy (untrue) story in a kids' book I read once, in which a bug crawls up a girl's nose. The rest I leave to your imagination. I started to type it out and didn't want to inflict it on anyone. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home