(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Friday, November 02, 2007

scrabble dilemma

I've been playing a lot of Scrabble lately, mostly on facebook (and I would love to play with you!). I tried playing Scrabble online a couple of years ago, but I got too anxious playing with strangers because I kept worrying about taking too long to play or not playing well enough. It only took a few games of 5 minute Scrabble to be cured of taking an eternity to play my turn, as well as most of my anxiety about playing with strangers. Playing on facebook, with people I know, is mostly even less anxiety-provoking, but I did just have an awkward Scrabble situation.

This professor that I don't really know challenged me to a game. I get both blanks on my opening rack, but can't play them. I also have on my rack CCMIT, so I have to play off a C. He plays MOUSEY, with the U adjacent to the double letter scores. Clearly, the best play is CUM. But, do I really want to play CUM as my very first turn with a professor I don't even really know? I played CITE. MICE probably would have been better. What would you have done?

6 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Uh, considering I've been too chicken to even add the Scrabble application, let alone face an actual game of it, I'll leave the advice to the professionals here.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Madeleine said...

I'm no professional, I don't even know if CUM is in the official Scrabble dictionary. But I'd say you made a good call given the context. Eep!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

This came up the last time I played Scrabble! (Not on Facebook; I've been reluctant to get an account...)

Turns out "cum" is a Latin conjunction, totally valid in Scrabble. So if your prof got suspicious, you could always accuse him/her of having the dirty mind.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger SJ said...

I agree. I would have been incredibly tempted but definitely would have chickened out.

Yeah - I've added the application but am too chicken to play against "real scrabblers" also.

any time you want a game though.... [provided we go slowly =o) ]

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Yeah, I couldn't have done it either.

Incidentally, I'd love to play against you again, but I started to wonder if you were only playing me out of pity, since I'm so far below your level :)

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go coming up with another word. I probably would have panicked and disabled my wireless connection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home