asking
I talked to my dad the other day and he asked what I wanted for Xmas. We always made Xmas and birthday lists in my family, which made shopping much easier. I wouldn't mind if other people still did that. I don't think I would be as good at making a list as I used to, though, possibly because I can just buy pretty much whatever I want myself and anything that's too expensive for me, is also probably too expensive for my parents. I realised that the risk of my Dad getting me something I really don't want was not insignificant (although he has gotten much better), though, so I tried to think of something I could ask for. I finally remembered that I'd thought the gorillapod flexible tripod was pretty cool, so I thought I could suggest that.
I had thought that they were around $20, but my camera is big enough to need the SLR size, which is $40, which is apparently over the threshold of making me feel uncomfortable asking for it*. I was just going to not ask for anything at all, but as I was thinking about the last several presents he's given me in order to gauge the risk of getting something I wouldn't want, I realised he probably spent at least $40 on them, so I asked. I did have to balance the list out with several cheaper alternatives, though.
When I was 11 or 12 and really wanted a walkman, I asked for a radio instead, because I knew the walkman was too expensive. Of course, when I got the radio I was disappointed because it wasn't really what I wanted. My brother, on the other hand, asked for the walkman, and got it.
Trying to judge what I can ask for without unduly (i.e. at all) inconveniencing or imposing on the giver is a more general pattern. Mostly, I don't feel like I deserve any more than that. It does have the advantage that I get to control the compromise. I probably would've been more disappointed if I'd asked for a walkman and got the radio. Then again, I probably would've been telling myself not to expect as much as I'd asked for anyway. I like being self-sufficient and not needing to ask for things, but I think that can be socially isolating. I know my mum would love to be able to give me exactly what I want, but I don't usually give her the chance. I meant to shift to talking about non-material things, but I was still thinking about presents; I think it works either way, though.
I can see the advantages for asking for what you really want, but in watching my brother demand and get a lot more than I would in many circumstances, I could also see that he got a lot more resentment, and felt more frustration when he didn't get everything he wanted. Being quiet and undemanding got me rewards, too, even if I felt unnoticed a lot of the time. I'm sure there's a balance somewhere between my brother and I, but I still feel like I belong on this side of it. It's safer here, anyway.
*One of my housemates asked if I'd received lots of presents from my family and after I told him my dad was only just wondering what I'd like, he suggested I ask for an iPod. Ha!
3 Comments:
my husband's family does lists and it's all a little mechanical for me. my brothers in law will just tell their mom what to buy and she gets it. More than once she's gotten it wrong and the first comment on opening is "Mom, this is the wrong one!"
that aside, it's nice for people to know what you want. I kinda prefer to do an amazon list that way people can buy as much or as little as they want. I hate asking for things I know are pricey. about $40 might be my threshold. But I like for people to pick from a list so there's some element of excitement and surprise.
We had that same dynamic in my family -- my sister asked for stuff, and was disappointed and resentful. It did feel safer being quiet and undemanding, yes.
Anastasia, it is a bit mechanical, but my other problem is never expressing an opinion, so my family doesn't have much to go on to figure out things I might like otherwise. I think lists can be good if there's a range of things to pick from, and if they're just suggestions, not absolute demands.
Phantom, I actually meant to say other people were resentful, but I think there was some resentment on all sides.
Post a Comment
<< Home