(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, December 30, 2007

decluttering

I thought I would try to get rid of some of the clutter in my room and start the new year afresh. So far I've managed to tackle my bedside table. It wasn't that hard to remove everything that didn't belong there, but now I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with some of the stuff that needs a more appropriate home.

I still have half-full bottles of the last 4 anti-depressants I took. When I googled for what to do with them, I found a bunch of sites saying not to flush them down the toilet or throw them in the rubbish bin, but they didn't say what to do with them, other than hope that a pharmacy will take them back (I've asked and they won't) or hope your city will take them as hazardous waste (mine won't). The city's hazardous waste page actually says to throw them in the bin, so I guess I'll have to do that after all, but it seems wrong.

I also reduced my stack of books that won't fit in my bookcase by removing all the print copies of Cell that I got because the subscription was free and I foolishly thought I might read them if they came in the mail. It seems a waste to just recycle them, but I can't imagine anyone else would want them.

I'm not sure what to tackle next. I'm not sure I can face my wardrobe yet. I was partially inspired by this 30-min clutter solution page, but they don't even have an entry for wardrobes or closets! That's not very encouraging.

2 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

When I declutter my wardrobe, I generally start by pulling out everything and throwing it on the bed. Then I put things back in one by one, examining each thing to decide if (a) I really still want to keep it (does it fit, is it full of holes, do I hate it), and if not, it goes into a big rubbish bag to take to the Salvos, and (b) if it really should live in the wardrobe (shoes, maybe; knitting, not so much).

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Yeah, I was just hoping there would be some 30 minute trick, since it usually takes me ages. I did clear out everything but my actual clothes, though, and I finished the rest of my room.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home