(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, December 30, 2007

favourite books of 2007

I read slightly more books than last year, but I don't think I loved any of them quite as much as the ones I loved last year. I wonder if not being depressed makes a difference. Most of my favourite books last year were about highly disturbed people and I liked them so much because I could identify with them. I don't think I read so many books about disturbed people this year, or at least not the right kind of disturbed people.

Maybe the difference is in context, too. I did most of my reading this year on the elliptical machine at the gym, rather than hiding in my room, desperate for something to distract me from how miserable I felt. Perhaps I should make more of an effort to read away from the gym, so I can properly appreciate what I'm reading. At least this year I would have less trouble recommending some of these books to people I don't know well.

I thought about trying to just recommend my single favourite book of the year, but I still think one book can't suit everyone (I think Day was the best book I read, but I'm not sure everyone would like it), so I've listed the 9 10 (I just finished the 10th yesterday) books I loved most and think you should read. I could have included Emma or Pride and Prejudice, but do I really need to tell anyone to read Jane Austen? I did just sort them into approximate order, which I had thought I couldn't do.

10. Anthropology by Dan Rhodes (#26)
9. Astonishing Splashes of Colour by Clare Morrall (#84)
8. How to Be Good by Nick Hornby (#111)
7. Robot Dreams by Sara Varon (#100)
6. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (#63)
5. The Secret History by Donna Tartt (#121)
4. No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July (#65)
3. The Idea of Perfection by Kate Grenville (#35)
2. The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt (#128)
1. Day by A.L. Kennedy (#59)

Thanks to Jeremy, for posting a link to the website for No One Belongs Here More Than You, Katie and wolfa for for posting about/recommending The Thirteenth Tale and Kermit for The Last Samurai.

I just read Cee's reading year post and am now feeling all competitive and wanting to read 200 books next year, too. I have been doing a fair bit of knitting recently, which kept me from reading on the way to and from lab, so I could read more if I tried.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:10 AM, Blogger Cee said...

*pulls on boxing gloves*

*dances around a bit*

Yeah, reading competition! Actually, I'm feeling very enthused about reaching 200 this year with all the recent additions to my to-read list. Plus, I've decided this year if I see a book that I really want to read and the library doesn't have it, I'm just going to buy it. I'm sick of waiting for the library to buy books I'm longing to read :-)

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Silk Stocking said...

Hmm. Might have to try How To Be Good. I read About A Boy (liked it) and A Long Way Down (trite and silly) and since then have stayed away from Hornby. :)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Cee, I'm feeling pretty confident, now that I'm already up to book #3 :)

Silk Stocking, definitely give him another chance. A Long Way Down was crap and certainly not up to his usual standards. I'm hoping that was a one-off mistake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home