cold feet
It's probably a good thing I didn't realise how cold it was today before I left the house at 7.30am to go to the gym, otherwise I might not have been brave enough to go. I went to the lab that actually has heating* but my feet were still freezing all day. I started maybe regretting my choice of hiking over snow boots. I ended up using a large part of my internet time today looking at smartwool socks and wondering if they're worth the price. I actually had 6 pairs in my shopping cart (because I found a coupon that would make them much cheaper that way) when I ran out of time. I know that I've heard good things about them in the blogosphere, but I'm still not sure I can spend that much money on socks. Are they worth it?
And while I'm asking for more advice on cold-weather living, is there any insulative advantage to hair-drying the plastic on my windows smooth?
I hate being cold. I was so jealous today on hearing a post-doc talk about how her apartment is at 75 F (23.8 C - I knew 75 was warm, but seeing it in degrees I can actually imagine almost made me cry) because her landlord controls it. Now I'm tempted to move just to get some warmth (although, I know our miserable 62 F (16.7 C, which also made me want to cry) is better for the environment). I'm going to go huddle under my quilt now. Only 4 months until Spring!
*I've been sitting there shivering, because I wasn't sure if I was officially meant to be sitting in the office where I was and besides, I didn't want to make a fuss. My advisor came to talk to me yesterday and asked why I hadn't called facilities to complain. He also told me to order some lamps, because it's kind of dim in there.
8 Comments:
ay, 62 is cold. I was feeling sorry for myself at 67.
Smartwool socks are one of the greatest inventions of modern times. Seriously. You will love them.
And 62 F is COOOOLD! Damn! In the winter? There? You poor thing! Get under those covers and stay there!
Plastic can help, especially if you have an older home. It will cut back on the drafts.
I layer clothing. That helps keep me warm. Under Armor products are awesome!!!!
Get the smartwool socks. I have two pairs and they are my favorite socks.
I'm not sure hairdrying the plastic matters,but it might -- the original stuff was made by 3M (Minnesota mining and manufacturing) -- and they're pretty smart about keeping warm :).
Also, if you have a bathtub -- take a bath and then leave the warm water in the tub until it gets cold... it will help warm and increase the humidity....
As for the smart wool socks, I haven't tried them --but those who have won't use anything else.
For completely decadent sock-buying, look at Dahlgren alpaca socks. My dad gets the whole family super warm socks for Christmas each year, and these are my favorites, though ridiculously expensive (I think). Smartwool is really good too.
I just spent more money than I would've imagined possible on socks. I hope you're all right. Thanks for your advice!
i also hate to be cold but live in a drafty old house, and can't afford the propane to heat the whole place. over the years i've learned to cope by heating only the room i'm in, with either a fire, a space heater, or a heat blanket. also layers and long underwear and wool sweaters, and fingerless gloves (so i can type). a dog or two close by doesn't hurt either!
i do love smartwool, hope they help!
Post a Comment
<< Home