(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

just like real life

I'm chatting online with my mum for the first time (I had to create a gmail account for her and add myself to the contacts list). I wondered if I would talk more than I usually do on the phone, since text requires more a response than the usual vague murmurings I interject in pauses between monologues. Plus, my mum isn't really comfortable using a computer, so I wasn't sure she'd type as much as she talks.

So far, it's eerily similar. Mum is taking several minutes at a time to type a whole paragraph of loosely connected news, in response to which I have little to say. I keep wanting to tell her to hit enter after each sentence, at least, but I think that might make it even more confusing, if I were trying to reply to the first sentence while she keeps talking without waiting for a response.

Mum generally responds to any computer-related suggestions with panic and self-recrimination for being no good at computers, so I'm not sure what I can do about it. It's not like I've figured out a way to have an actual conversation on the phone, either, though.

4 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

So you set your mom up for online chatting on purpose?!

My 87-year-old mother-in-law has a computer. She types everything in all caps. Fortunately, she barely tolerates me, so my husband is the lucky recipient of her large print emails.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh. Parents and computers: don't even get me started. You are a braver woman than I am.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

KathyR, we were supposed to be planning a trip and she has to use the internet at the library, so this was the only way we could discuss thing while looking at information online (although that really didn't work).

 
At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a question of time! I am sure she will get use to computer after practising.

I had the same experience with my mother. My dad and I tried hard to convince her to use Internet so many time, but she was reluctant. When I left my country for studying abroad, she realized than she has no choice! She would better use Internet to keep in touch with me! At the begining it was so slow, exactly as you described it in your post! After 3 yeats, I am so impressed of the progress she had made! She created her own blog now :)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home