(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, March 27, 2008

aimless

I was home and finished with dinner by 8.30 and then didn't know what to do with myself. I wanted to do something worthwhile, but I couldn't think what, so I just kept wasting time online and now I could probably go to bed. I played some Scrabble, but I just got my rating up over 900 so now I don't want to play in case I lose it straight away. I don't think online Scrabble quite counts as worthwhile, anyway. Last night I watched a movie and knit for a couple of hours, but I don't have any DVDs at the moment. I could've read a book, I guess, but I already read a lot, so I'm not sure that even counts as worthwhile.

Ideally, I'd have the motivation to work on putting my photos that are in boxes into albums, but I couldn't bring myself to start something so big when I thought of it tonight. I really should have emailed some people from home, actually. Or, I could've hung out in the dining room with all the people a housemate invited over, but that was too scary.

I'm doing better at procrastinating less at work, but I also need to waste less time at home. I need to figure out what I'd really like to be doing with my time so that I have alternatives to mindless websurfing.

4 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Here's the thing, though: when you've put in a day at work, you're allowed to go home and waste time. It's called "relaxing." Or so I hear.

Of course, if you hate the stuff you're doing at home, that's another story. However. If you enjoy it, and just feel guilty that you're Not Getting Things Done, well, I hereby absolve you of any and all guilt. Anyway, kicking my butt at Scrabble CERTAINLY counts as getting something done.

;-)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I definitely want to relax. I love doing nothing. If there were always new blog posts to read I'd probably be happy. Repeatedly clicking refresh isn't exactly fun, though.

I need to figure out what I would actually enjoy doing to relax. Maybe I just have too much free time. Or maybe I should be spending some of it with other people instead of always entertaining myself.

And now I feel bad whinging, because I'm sure you'd love some more time to do nothing. All the more reason to let me babysit sometime. :)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger post-doc said...

That's actually kind of profound. Figuring out how to spend down time to maximize relaxation and happiness seems quite important. I haven't yet done it and agree that people need to update their blogs more so I have something to read! :)

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Laughing. Wonder Twin Guilt Superhero powers activate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home