(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Friday, April 04, 2008

help me get my watch back

My watch band broke recently, so two weeks ago I took it to the watch shop where I got the pin replaced the previous time it broke. This time, the whole end piece of the band was missing, so I had to leave the watch there. They called me a couple of days later to say it was ready to be picked up. I couldn't get there while it was open until last Friday (they called on Monday). When I went in, they couldn't find it, although the owner remembered it and knew it should be there. She said someone would call when they found it, but now it's a week later and I haven't heard anything. I was going to send an email today to see whether they'd found it or given up on it, but the card the owner gave me doesn't have an email address on it. I guess I need to call, but I don't know what to do if they haven't found it.

My natural inclination would be to just say "oh, that's okay; just let me know if you find it" because I can't bear to cause any conflict or ask for anything, but it's not okay. I want my watch back. I kind of feel like I can't ask for them to replace it or anything, because I think it was a free gift that came with a Time magazine subscription. Still, my grandmother gave it to me and I've had it for 10 years so it has some sentimental value (although, its provenance lessens the sentimental value a bit, and its age also reduces its value).

You can see I'm not likely to be very assertive when talking to them. I'd probably be slightly better via email, but sadly that isn't an option. So what should I say? What should I expect them to do about it?

5 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would hate calling them about it but I think you should. They need to find your watch and if they can't, that means they've lost it. It went missing while they were responsible. At that point, it doesn't matter if it was an utter piece of crap, they need to either replace it or reimburse you what it would cost you to replace it.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I don't have social anxiety and this would be hard for me. Boo on them for putting you in this position.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'd call them, tell them you'll be in on Friday to pick it up -- and that last itme you were there, they couldn't find it. Bring the tag they should have given you when you dropped it off.

When they can't find it, ask the owner what their policy is on lost items. When they say they don't have one -- tell them that you could find a satisfactory replacement watch for X dollars (at least $50.00) and that you expect them to reimburse you or replace the watch with something similar.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Psycgirl said...

I would hate to call them either. I hate the phone and conflict, so conflict on the phone is horrible. I would say that you're calling about your watch, you haven't heard from them so you're assuming that they haven't found it? And then I would be like "You know that watch had a lot of sentimental value to me..." And then they should offer to replace it. And if they don't offer then I would go with Inside the Philosophy Factory's idea of saying "So what is your policy on lost items?" Good luck. Let us know what happens, okay?

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like ItPF's idea. Call them and tell them you're calling about your watch (which they couldn't find last time you were there) and that you'll be in on whatever day (or at whatever time) to pick it up. That gives them some time to try to locate it. (I'm betting it's there somewhere!) Then, if they haven't found it, ask about their lost-item policy. I'm sure they'll offer something, even if they don't have a "policy"--they really can't just say "sorry, we lost it" and leave it at that!

Want me to call 'em for you? I can't do this kind of thing myself, but I can do it for other people. :)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Thanks for your advice! They didn't give me a tag when I dropped it off and I didn't notice. Hopefully, the owner still remembers me. I'll try calling tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home