(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Monday, June 02, 2008

how much do I care about a star when there's cake in the kitchen and I've ruined my experiments?

This wasn't exactly the kind of blogging I had in mind when I resolved to post more, but it's either this or burst into tears and eat the remaining half a cake that's taunting me every time I have to do something with my cells (which is a lot). I just ruined yet another experiment because I wasn't thinking when I set it up. I do this all the frickin' time and I still haven't learnt to plan everything out ahead of time. I'm setting up another experiment now and will probably mess something different up this time, since it's kind of hard to concentrate while trying not to cry, cursing myself for being so stupid and failing to think of alternate careers I might suck less at. I'm going to be here all night now, too.

6 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(lucy)

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Aw, lucy. It's gonna be okay. I promise. Even if you eat the rest of the damn cake. It's still gonna be okay.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Hang in there -- and, being in the sciences you should know that cake eaten standing up while frustrated with an experiment only contains the calories of one stalk of celery.... really.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger post-doc said...

Many hugs, Lucy. It happens to me all the time - hang in there.

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone screws up in the lab all the time - if it weren't for screwing up I'd never get anything done!

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your cells aren't behaving. :( Maybe you just need to put some petri dishes in the corner, so that they can sit and think about what they've done wrong.

Also, one of my students last summer broke something on his second-to-last day in lab that took me upwards of two months to recover from. You know what though? I still like him, appreciate the work he did for me, and think that he's a decent researcher. So while you're having trouble thinking good things about yourself, everyone else may not be agreeing with you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home