(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, June 26, 2008

maybe I could work at mcdonald's again

My mum called last night, wanting to know if I knew when I could come home next, since I'd told her it might be possible to go home after the conference in Japan. She was all sympathetic about me not getting to go. She tried to reassure me by saying things like some of you did, about how things don't always work, even if you're working hard. The problem is that I'm not working hard. I know the difference between experiments not working and me not working. I have been tracking my time all year so I have hard data to back me up on this.

I haven't ever told my mum before about how unmotivated I've been, because I don't want to feel worse about moving so far away, supposedly to do this PhD, when I'm not working on it. Last night, though, I couldn't bear having her feel sorry for me as if it was all out of my control. I'm not sure it was a good idea. She spent most of the rest of the conversation trying to convince me to go to a doctor in case I'm anaemic or have a thyroid problem or something. When I kept insisting I was perfectly healthy, she came up with several more ways it could be not my fault. I guess I appreciate the sentiment, but it doesn't help. She did the same thing when I tried to tell her about my social anxiety, insisting that I had friends and she'd seen me talking to them, therefore I couldn't actually be all that shy.

If I knew why I'm so unmotivated, it would be easier to explain. I can't tell, though, if I really don't want to do research or if I'm just crippled by anxiety about doing it all wrong. If it's the former, I feel like I should be able to just force myself to do the work to get finished while I figure out what I actually want to do. The problem is that I can't think of anything else I would enjoy more, or be more motivated to do.

When I try to imagine doing any of the jobs I've read about in the many books I've read recently about non-academic careers, I feel the same fear and avoidance I do about research. I certainly can't imagine going to an interview for any real job and being able to sincerely claim I'd be a great candidate - I have no people skills, I'm clearly not self-motivated or good at time management or organisation. The only thing I can actually imagine doing for 8 hours a day is something repetitive with no responsibility. Which makes me think anxiety is really the problem. Or maybe I should just get some crappy job I can forget about at 5pm and concentrate on doing fun things the rest of the time...

If anxiety really is the problem, then I obviously need to work on that, regardless of whether I want to keep doing research. I don't know how, though. I wish I could talk to the therapist or someone, but I literally can't speak out loud with her enough to explain. I can't even talk enough to explain the not being able to talk issue. I feel stuck.

6 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Do you think you could write your concerns out for the therapist, or for some other counselor type of person? I think it's a really big step that you *want* to be unstuck and want to be talking it out, and I hate to see the moment pass.

I've done the crappy-job-until-5PM routine, and I think it was for similar reasons. Which means I should have advice for you, right? But I've never figured it out myself, this whole career business. So I think I'd better just offer hugs.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a therapist willing to work over the phone?

You don't have to finish if you don't want to. It's your choice and no one else should care if that's what you really want to do.

I also think you would be surprised at the amount other people work - I bet it is closer to you than you think.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Phantom, it's so good that you want it. I remember a long time ago some discussion of printing out a blog post to show the therapist. Could you do that?
Whether or not you stay in academia, work at McDonald's or join NASA (how's that for a suggestion?) anxiety is hampering your ability to be present to yourself and others, to enjoy your life. That's worth working on just as it would be important to do the things that would manage diabetes or some other chronic disease.
(((lucy)))

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

I think - when one is anxious or depressed or something of the like - it's hard to accurately evaluate how hard to work or how motivated to be. I do think finding the right therapist would be nice. But I don't think you're all that unsuited to a challenging job. It's just a process to get ready for some people (like me! Hi!). So please don't be too hard on yourself (though I appreciate that you're trying to be responsible and realistic about the situation). Maybe try to focus on what comes next? What you can do to feel productive and good from here? Whatever happens, I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Hugs.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Phantom, how was the crappy-job routine? Please don't crush my pitiful dreams and tell me it's soul-sapping. :)

I'm not sure writing stuff out to show someone helps, because then I still can't talk about it. I think I need to actually discuss things. I wish the therapist could use IM.

Thanks for the hugs and encouragement, everyone.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger SJ said...

Hi,

This is probably a bit late and maybe not that helpful but I just thought I'd let you know that it's possible to do anxiety work (particularly social anxiety work) completely online. The therapists make contact via email and you gradually work your way through a CBT programme. see www.climate.tv./ for an example

Anyway, just a thought.
SJ

Thinking of you & wishing you all the best whatever you decide :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home