(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

farm share

This wasn't a very interesting week of farm share cooking. I didn't even take photos of the red curry I made with the eggplant and beans (and some of the fennel) because that's something I make ordinarily.

I did make cucumber pancakes for breakfast on Saturday, though. The cucumber taste was quite well disguised, but I was lazy and used regular flour instead of rice flour (or cream of wheat) so the pancakes were kind of doughy. They definitely would have been better crispier, but they made quite a good vehicle for ketchup, at least.


Since most of the recipes and suggestions for fennel that didn't mention any liquorice taste involved roasting the fennel, I made roasted fennel and potato salad. It was yummy, but in spite of, rather than because of, the fennel. I don't think I'll be buying any fennel on my own.



This week the vegetables were less exotic. We got potatoes, carrots, bell peppers (capsicum), spring onions and tomatoes. And a little more chard (silverbeet) and cucumber (sigh...). The more conventional vegetables did at least come in exciting colours. We got purple beans! And a purple pepper.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I've always wondered what chard was. My top guess was that it was some super secret American vegetable that was way more interesting than anything we ever have.

Now I'm kind of disappointed to find it's just plain old silverbeet :(

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Sorry to disappoint you. I've been calling it chard, even though I usually keep using the C'landian words, because then I could pretend it's a whole different vegetable from the silverbeet that was my most detested food as a kid.

Can you get rainbow silverbeet? Or is rainbow chard still a mysterious other-worldly vegetable?

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Katerina said...

Sad to hear you didn't like the fennel but not everyone can like everything.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I've never heard of rainbow silverbeet, but it might exist in the sort of upmarket food places I don't usually frequent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home