(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, July 17, 2008

in which I finally reach the end of my advisor's patience

I just had a meeting with my advisor in which he finally told me my experiments suck and I need to work harder. He said it very nicely, but still. I made it through without crying, but I'm supposed to go back after I've finished an experiment and go through my crappy plan for what to do next. I'm pretty sure I won't be so successful at holding the tears at bay then.

I feel awful, because I know everything he said is true, and he should be a lot more mad at me than he's acting. I don't know what to say, though. Actually, that's a moot point, because I can't say anything. But, is it worse to let him think I'm stupid and don't know what I should be doing or try to explain that I have no motivation? I suppose the lack of motivation is largely due to the fact that I do think I'm stupid and don't know what to do, anyway...

It would probably be better to spend the time left before the meeting trying to come up with something vaguely intelligent to say about my plan, but instead I'm distracting myself from doom-laden thoughts by reading blogs.

Update: I over-reacted, apparently. I didn't even come close to crying and my advisor didn't hate my plan. I still feel like he should have yelled at me for not working hard enough, though. He also didn't tell me exactly what I should do next, which I kind of wanted, but I guess that means my vague list is okay. I did at least get him to admit that the hypothetical version of the paper he keeps telling me to outline has no actual point yet, so it was reassuring to hear that I could stop squinting at my crappy outline like a magic eye picture, waiting for the 3D central hypothesis to jump out at me.

6 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, honey. I'm sorry. about everything...how you're feeling, your lack of motivation, all of it. One thing I do know is that you aren't stupid. Even if you don't know quite what to do, that isn't the same thing.

your adviser sounds kind. can he help if you're honest with him? or will that make it worse?

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

He is very kind. He would probably like to help, but I really can't be honest. I just can't talk about how I feel. Literally. Not even with the therapist.

It would help to have a plan that he thinks is good enough to follow, step by step. What I have is not good enough, but if I can make it through this meeting without crying so he can tell me what to do, that would be good. Assuming he will tell me what to do and not send me back to figure it out for myself, because I probably should be able to.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Kirsty said...

He does sound like a good adviser, which is a very good thing considering that's by no means a given in a lot of cases.

I have a similar meeting scheduled for later today, and here I am reading blogs too.

Hmm. Wish me luck.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Madeleine said...

Hooray for not as bad as you expected and for having a reasonable, if vague, plan.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad it was better than you expected...and your magic eye outline made me laugh. I *so* do that too. :)

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger maikeru77 said...

same sentiments here. my advisor told me that he is not satisfied with my work, a week before the thesis defense. what else can i do in such a limited time?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home