(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

more farm share

Maybe I will post what I cook every week. Last week, we got more beets, more cabbage and more kale. And carrots! Maybe we're finally getting to the vegetables I would choose for myself (we got green beans, this week, too!).
I made borscht, which I hated when it was freshly cooked. It didn't even look that pretty, since I think most of my beets were candy cane ones (at least they looked pretty while I was chopping them). I froze two servings of it, since I had too much food, but I was thinking they might sit there a long time before I got around to thawing any. I reheated the rest of the unfrozen portion tonight, and liked it a lot more. I don't think I'll be making it again, still.




I also made plasto, which was yummy. I'd never heard of it before, but it's basically cornbread with greens, onions and cheese (I used feta) baked into the middle. I thought I used a big pile of beet greens and kale, but mine still turned out a lot heavier on the cornbread than the recipe picture.


My attempt to make cucumber palatable was cucumber raita, which was fairly decent, but I'm glad I also made the eggplant chutney to alternate dipping my carrot sticks into.

I also made muffins, because carrot sticks and dips didn't seem like enough for lunches, but I didn't take a photo of them. They were based on this recipe for date and walnut muffins. I used mixed dried fruit and raspberry jam, though, and left out the walnuts, so they're more like christmas cake muffins.

We just got another load of veges today. It seems smaller this week. I almost feel like I might actually have to buy some more. Maybe it's the lack of green leafy things that makes it seem smaller. There's no kale or collard greens or chard or anything. We did get a lot of fennel, which I've never eaten. My housemate assured me it didn't taste like aniseed, but after reading numerous recipes praising it's licorice-like flavour, I'm dubious. Anyone have any suggestions? So far, I'm leaning towards this vegetarian cassoulet, although it's not a very Summery meal.

4 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Madeleine said...

I don't like licorice either. I'm pretty sure someone once served me roasted fennel root and I liked it. So it's worth a try!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

Mmm, fennel! If you're concerned about the taste, you can try eating it raw -- depending on how clean/bruised it is, peel off the thick outer layer of the bulb, then just chop off a piece. It's true that all the options I know of for cooking fennel are more winter dishes -- roasting and braising are two good ones -- but I've made a couple of potato salads recently that involve diced fennel for crunchiness and were delicious (potatoes, red onion, fennel, dill, dressed with a mustard vinaigrette).

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

That's good to hear, madeleine!

Maybe I'll try some fennel in salad tomorrow. Potato salad sounds pretty good, too. Thanks, Kermit.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Kirsty said...

I love fennel, although I do prefer it raw. I often make a salad entirely out of fennel with a few bits added. Basically it's just finely sliced fennel with shavings of parmesan, toasted walnuts, and semi dried tomatoes in a dressing of olive oil and red wine vinegar. It's a good substitute for celery in cooking especially when you begin by frying up celery, carrots and onions--although I don't recommend serving fennel stuffed with peanut butter! All your food looks delicious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home