(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

favourite books of 2008

I read 170.5 books this year (I haven't finished Madame Bovary yet, but I'm pretty sure it won't be one of my favourites), of which 32 were non-fiction.
I thought I might have trouble even coming up with a top ten list this year, since it felt like I hadn't read any really great books. Then I did that last post and realised there were several excellent ones I'd just forgotten to record until now. The good books did seem to come in batches this year. Here they are in approximate order (I kept shuffling around the top three, since I couldn't quite decide which I liked best):

10. Stranger on a Train by Jenny Diski (#103)
9. Hunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda (#37)
8. The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood (#168)
7. When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson (#152)
6. Bookhunter by Jason Shiga (#38)
5. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (#170)
4. The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu (#4)
3. The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle (#1)
2. What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn (#33)
1. Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan (#165)

I didn't write many reviews this year so the title links go to goodreads.com. For the few I did write anything about (including ones for which I just added something now), I linked the number book it was for me, although in most cases I didn't say anything substantial.

It's interesting how my ratings at the time differ from my memory now. A friend recently complained that I'd recommended The Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England and I denied having done so, although I see now that I gave it 4 stars. I remember it being enjoyable but not quite recommendable. I also gave Out Stealing Horses 5 stars, but I didn't put it on this list because I don't remember really loving it. I'd probably be more likely to recommend other books, e.g. the last book I cut from the shortlist, The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney, over some of these, but these are what I'm most glad to have read.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I've heard that When Will There Be Good News is a good book, and I've considered reading it.

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

You should read it. :) Case Histories is about some of the same characters, if you want to start with the background, but you don't need to read it first.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

Ah, Lucy, totally excellent inspiration for new reading! Thanks! By the way, are you a present or past reader of Robin McKinley? One of my favorites this past year was her newish paperback called Sunshine -- I think you might like it.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Jessi said...

170? That's impressive. I forgot just how much I missed reading until recently, but I know there's no way I could read that many books in a year now. Glad you enjoyed them. :)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Kermit, I don't think I've read any Robin McKinley, but Sunshine sounds familiar. I'll have to look out for it, thanks.

Jessi, I have a long commute and read too fast to remember what all those books were about, so more isn't necessarily better. I'm glad you're enjoying reading again. :)

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite books of last year!! I like your choice!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home