The Plan 2009 #1
I have been slacking on restarting this for too long. I know that if I publicly recommit to it, I'll have to stick to it (which is partly why I haven't before now...) and I'm finally sick of my laziness enough to do that.
First, a summary of 2008. Which was okay, but not great. I did 822 hours of work last year, which is 200 more than the year before and accounted for 48% of my time at lab. It's an improvement, but not enough of one. I exercised 227 times in 2008, which is fewer than in 2007. I started slacking a bit. I want to get that back to being something non-negotiable, no matter how much my day sucks.
The Plan has become much more narrowly focussed than it was meant to be at the beginning. Work is definitely the area I still need help with most, but the others have mostly fallen by the wayside. The health-related goals stayed because they were mostly easier to implement and stick to but the social, family and being unselfish ones I just ignored. I think some of those goals failed because of my anxiety/lack of self-esteem, so I need to work on that first. So, I'm adding a new goal to do some of the CBT exercises from one of my workbooks every day. I'm still thinking about whether to go back to the CBT therapist, but I'll post about that later.
Starting tomorrow (today I'm going to make a plan for the next couple of weeks, or rather update the one I've been ignoring), if I don't do the following for the next 30 days, I have to give the awesome mittens I'm knitting to a homeless person. If I do, I'm getting a bag to carry my knitting in to replace the Borders plastic bag I've been using.
- go to bed by midnight
- exercise
- leave home by 9.30am
- waste no more than 10 minutes on internet at a time, separated by an hour of work, up to an hour a day
- eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day
- complete a CBT exercise
Labels: The Plan
7 Comments:
You know, I was going to comment on one of your last posts to ask if you've ever considered CBT. (I didn't because I thought, great, just what she needs, more stupid advice.) But I know people who've found it very effective in helping them combat some of their more damaging scripts about unworthiness, trauma, etc.
Advice is welcome!
CBT always seems like it should work. The problem is that my thoughts seem rational to me and I can't talk enough to explain them to someone who might be able to point out the flaws.
Oh noes! A word twist game takes slightly more than 10 minutes! What will you do? (Can you make your time wasting limit 12 minutes or something instead?)
Incidentally, for exercises you can do at home, try http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/
Good point, Styley! I usually allow a couple of minutes grace, but I'll still set a timer for 10 minutes. A friend here actually told me about the moodgym website a while ago. Thanks for the reminder.
I like the precision of your plan (and the 10 minutes, I should so emulate, although if I'd been doing that today, I wouldn't be here. But I am now inspired to head back to the work side of the computer.)
Wow, no more than 10 minutes at a time, up to an hour? I'd never survive! Then again, I can't commit to exercising either, lol. Great plan and best of luck keeping with it. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home