Weirdness
This blog really does nothing but enumerate the many ways in which I'm weird, so for a change I decided to list 5 of my more harmlessly eccentric habits.
Thanks, Laura for the memeing!
1. I don't like green food. Not naturally green things like peas, broccoli, lime, honeydew melon etc and certainly not artifically green things like cordial, snakes, jelly (jello, not jam), or even mint chocolate-chip ice cream. (After many years of people listing green things that surely I must like at me, I've found 2 exceptions: kiwi fruit and green grapes, but it's still hard to find grapes that are sweet enough)
2. I don't like any fizzy drinks at all. Or coffee. Or tea. Or alcohol. This is harder to deal with than you'd think. It's surprisingly hard to turn down offers of the standard drinks, or convince people that really just water (from a tap, not fancy sparkling stuff) would be great, without seeming rude. I've tried to choke down drinks many times, but this isn't really an improvement since it takes such a long time to make a dent in the volume when you're taking tiny sips, that it still seems very rude. It doesn't help that I have a pathological fear of expressing an opinion, either.
3. I eat bread, pizza etc crust first. This is a relic of my childhood when I was all about the delayed gratification. I could make my easter eggs (the only reliable source of high-concentration refined sugar all year) last from March/April until at least September. Sadly, the accompanying ability to get out of bed at 6am in order to fit in piano practice before school has also long gone.
4. I love books as physical objects perhaps too much. If I'm buying a book I'll inspect every single copy to ensure I get the most pristine one with no creases or chips taken off the spine, even if there are 50 books there. I also find my favourite books in bookshops, just to pick them up and hold them. I have to remind myself that I already own a copy in order to convince myself to let go and I still feel the pang of loss at leaving them behind. This is especially hard now that my own copies are thousands of miles away, so I have broken down and bought a few duplicates. Of course, at home I have at least 4 different editions of each book in "the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy, so availability of a copy that's mine isn't always enough. I also hate to lend books for fear the borrower won't take sufficient care of them. My mum is too scared to read my books now after seeing too many of my pained expressions while she opened a book wide enough to make the spine crease. The time she actually left one face down and I had to rescue it was probably the loudest reaction she's ever heard from me. This only applies to books that actually belong to me (or someone I know), though. Library books can be put into my backpack without multiple protective layers and preferably a box. To my shame, I use to dog-ear the corners to mark my page, too, but I've reformed. I used to write my name in my books in primary school, but that was when I used to lend them to people, too. I still haven't forgiven Amy W. for stealing my copy of "Stacey's Mistake" when we were 9 (she claimed to have given it to someone else to give back to me). The ideal situation is to own a perfect copy of a book and read only the library's copies. I also read while walking anywhere, and have done pretty much since I started reading books small enough relative to my body to be manageable. I'm yet to be hit by a car or pedestrian, although I've made a few people stop in a hurry.
5. I don't wear black clothes ever. I have one pair of black dress pants and a black skirt, neither of which I wear often, but anything near my face has to be coloured. My mum seems to think black is the colour that suits me best, so it took some effort to avoid black clothing while she was still buying my clothes. She did convince me to get a black dress when I was about 13. I gave in because I really loved the dress, but they didn't have it in any other colour. I think I wore it twice. I'm not sure why I have such a repulsion for black; it just seems depressing. Even when that would match how I feel, I can't bear to wear it. Maybe I'm worried that the colour would drag my mood down into the suicidal range. I also hate writing in black pen; it's so gloomy-looking. Blue ink is so much nicer.
Labels: memes



14 Comments:
I'm a kindred spirit of you on #4. I don't think I have ever dog-eared a book in my entire life. I'd rather stick a hot poker in a place that one normally does not stick hot pokers. Here's the real question though. Assuming that you have a ton of books (here or home), how do you organize them? Is there any? There is a subtle seeminging-random organization to all four of my bookshelves, although not really to the misc. piles of books not on the shelves.
How do you feel about green chocolate? Green pizza?
I started out only bending the corners when they were already badly creased, but once I started doing it to uncreased pages I knew I had to stop. I'm still ashamed, though.
My books aren't entirely organised, but there are thematic groupings (even if the theme is only apparent to me and even then just based on some general feeling). Within that they're generally grouped by author, then series, then size. I used to regularly rearrange my books according to different schemes, too. I was dismayed to see my books all out of order last time I was home, since a bookshelf had had to be moved. My books here are organised roughly according to how much I like them. What's your method?
If the green is flavourless food colouring, that's okay, but I'd be dubious. I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam-I-Am.
Sheepish - That book I sent you had totally been dog eared. I suppose you noticed that. It was not dog eared like bookmarked, but dog eared like I want to go back and re-read some of these lines.
I don't like black clothes so much, either, but I do wear them more than I'd like. To me, it's a creativity thing. It's too easy to wear black all of the time. But I think I'm in a blue-ish rut.
I try to avoid wearing black, but it's getting harder, I have less time & patience for wardrobe maintenance than I used to & it's just so damn easy. The down side is the effect on mood, like you say. I really notice it.
I never wear black either. It's always just seemed like the colour of mourning to me.
I used to wear black all the time -- I only stopped because it shows up baby drool stains too much. It cheered me up, because it made me feel less terminally uncool. That's just me, though.
Mr. Blue habitually wrinkles pages in between his fingers as he reads. Luckily we don't have much of the same taste in books, so they're not my books being mutilated. But it pains me all the same. And someday I'm going to make him buy me unwrinkled copies of the Harry Potter series.
Black clothing is definitely much easier to find. I have been tempted on a couple of occasions to buy something I like when it doesn't come in any other colour.
Phantom, it is definitely a trade off between being gloomy and uncool, but I figure it'll take a lot more than some black clothing to make me appear cool so I'll settle for cheerier colours. Although, my default colour is blue, which can be pretty bland anyway.
Laura, I spend as little time on wardrobe maintenance as possible, too, but I think I'm lucky to be in science because fashionable clothes are not something you see in a lab on a regular basis.
B*, post-its! And, Phantom, I'm afraid Mr Blue just went down a little in my estimation... At least your books are safe.
You should see what they wear in english departments....
Ha the whole black clothing thing nearly made me relate my own black clothing story, but then I remembered that I'm yet to do Laura's meme so I'm going to save it for my own list. I did make the decision soon after graduating to pens from pencils that I preferred writing in black.
I'm intrigued about the whole green food thing. Is this because it reminds you of any particular bodily fluids? I found out recently that a friend of mine doesn't eat red food. I asked her if it was a blood thing and she said it was. Then I proceeded to quiz her about every red food I could think of. I thought I had her on jaffas, but she informed me that proper jaffas were orange : )
(the word verification letters on this comment are 'mcphd'. heh.)
I'm looking forward to your story, galaxy. I don't really have a reason behind the green food thing, but thanks for giving me a new one! I think it was just conditioning from icky vegetables being green, and then green lollies betraying their class by tasting terrible. Although, I have tried convincing myself that I can't have an aversion to a colour since green isn't a taste, but all green things just seem to taste bad in different ways.
I think if I ever need to move this blog, mcphd will have to be the new name.
Laura, I guess my only contact with humanities departments in the last couple of years has been Prestigious Uni comparative literature students and it seems to be a requirement of admission that one owns an entirely black, stylish wardrobe and a pair of square framed glasses (preferably in black plastic).
hmm, I just realised no north american was confused by the inclusion of snakes on the list of icky green foods. Does that mean they're available in this country? My mum sent me some "all natural" jelly babies, but they don't taste right without the artificial flavours. At least there aren't any green ones.
I just figured you wacky Commonwealthers actually ate green garden snakes. You mean you don't?
not usually :) They're jelly snakes (kind of like swedish fish, but softer and made with glucose, not high fructose corn syrup and therefore infinitely better). Is there anything like that here?
and you can coil them up on the palm of your hand and they slowly and creepily uncoil themselves.
Then you bite their heads off.
Post a Comment
<< Home