5 years (and 1 day)
I thought I'd remembered my blogiversary being the same as my birthday, but I was a day off. Still, it's a good time to think back on the last five years. I just read my first couple of posts and I feel enormously grateful for how much better my life is now than it was then.
I'd actually recently been thinking that I'd slipped back to my 2005 life, with one very significant difference. I have been pretty miserable this year and I've spent a lot of time at lab either crying or trying not to. I found myself hiding in my room from housemates again. I haven't been to the gym in months. I hadn't cooked in almost as long and had been living on junk food.
But! I have been doing a lot more work and enough of my experiments have been working that I can start writing up (although I still need to officially get my committee to agree to that). Even more significantly, I have my Favourite Person, and right now I'm in the same place as him and far away from lab, so I'm happy. I have also started the Couch to 5K plan and cooked some vegetable-filled meals in the last week, so I'm getting my life back on track. This blog had a lot to do with improving my life circa 2007 so I'm hoping to be more active here again this time.
I turned 30 today, so it's a good time for starting new plans. I haven't completely formulated The New Plan yet, but I started a "101 things in 1001 days" list. I don't want it to be a restrictive list that becomes a chore and I'd like to actually complete it* so I haven't filled in the whole list yet. My goal is really just to do 101 new things, so I will be okay with adding and removing items. You can see my list here. Please let me know if you have any ideas for cool things to do.
One thing on my list is to complete a Project 365. I took my first picture today, with my awesome new camera. It leaves plenty of room for improvement, which is okay with me.
I'd actually recently been thinking that I'd slipped back to my 2005 life, with one very significant difference. I have been pretty miserable this year and I've spent a lot of time at lab either crying or trying not to. I found myself hiding in my room from housemates again. I haven't been to the gym in months. I hadn't cooked in almost as long and had been living on junk food.
But! I have been doing a lot more work and enough of my experiments have been working that I can start writing up (although I still need to officially get my committee to agree to that). Even more significantly, I have my Favourite Person, and right now I'm in the same place as him and far away from lab, so I'm happy. I have also started the Couch to 5K plan and cooked some vegetable-filled meals in the last week, so I'm getting my life back on track. This blog had a lot to do with improving my life circa 2007 so I'm hoping to be more active here again this time.
I turned 30 today, so it's a good time for starting new plans. I haven't completely formulated The New Plan yet, but I started a "101 things in 1001 days" list. I don't want it to be a restrictive list that becomes a chore and I'd like to actually complete it* so I haven't filled in the whole list yet. My goal is really just to do 101 new things, so I will be okay with adding and removing items. You can see my list here. Please let me know if you have any ideas for cool things to do.
One thing on my list is to complete a Project 365. I took my first picture today, with my awesome new camera. It leaves plenty of room for improvement, which is okay with me.
Thank you for all your support and friendship over the last five years. It has meant so much to me and I'm looking forward to being part of the blogging community again.
*Has anyone ever seen someone complete one of these? Maybe that's not realistic, but it's worth striving for.



6 Comments:
If you're still around this summer, I'd definitely be up for #12 (used to a lot, haven't since the kids were born). And you've got an open-ended offer to come do #9 with us as soon as berry season starts.
Also, if you're looking for companions for #26, I probably know some people who'd be interested...
Happy birthday! I'm so glad things are going better. I have also been thinking about a return to the blog, so maybe I'll see you around. :)
Happy Birthday!
Come visit me and husband and I can count as 2 of your 5 new friends haha. For #7: there's been big success at my work for collection donations for the local city mission and it wasn't nearly as hard as we all thought it would be. The response was overwhelming every year.
Go to a punk rock show. (I'm bias but I think it's a good experience because the rules there are everyone looks out for everyone else.)
Happy birthday!
Phantom, I'm not sure how much I'll be around this Summer, but I'd love to take you up on some of those!
Thanks, Kermit. I hope you do return to blogging, too.
Thanks for the suggestions, rented life. I wonder if you, or other bloggy friends, are anywhere nearby...
Thanks, Rachel!
shoot me an e-mail. I may be nearby, or moving nearby if I ever get job news! And Husband and I love to travel-road trips, etc.
Post a Comment
<< Home