asexuality - not just for amoeba!
Since I spent most of Saturday wrestling with my blog template, obviously there must have been something I was avoiding. Well, there were multiple somethings, but one of them was this post and I'm still not sure I'm going to finish it. This is the post I was thinking about last week when I was asking questions. It's actually one I've thought about writing for a long time but I've been thinking about it more and more for some reason lately. I should stop being all mysterious and actually write the thing, I suppose...
As I'm sure you could tell from my questions, I've never felt that "magical pull" of attraction described in the quote from Prep, and others in their answers. When I was younger and people around me were just starting to be interested in boys I assumed I'd catch up at some point and become interested. At that point, I figured my lack of interest resulted from not ever meeting any boys, except those I'd known since primary school when they were reviled as carriers of boys' germs so it was difficult to see them as anyone interesting. I was also incredibly shy and awkward (not that that's changed much) so I was fairly reluctant to venture into this new, scary world.
When I did start going to school dances occasionally, I never danced with anyone, any boys that is. At the very first dance I went to, I got asked to dance during the last song of the night by some guy on behalf of his friend, but I was having fun with my friends and I'd been told to be scornful of boys who relied on their friends to do the asking (yeah, I'm still ashamed of my hypocrisy) so I said no. If I'd known that was probably my only chance, I would've said yes. My brother used to tell me I had to look at people if I wanted them to ask me to dance, but that just confused me because how was I supposed to tell if I wanted to dance with them based on a glimpse in a dimly lit crowd? It also scared me off even glancing anyone in the eye, I think. I never really understood my friends' obsessions with guys they'd only ever seen from afar, either, although I did wonder if I was thinking about it too much and maybe you weren't meant to have a list of reasons before you could like someone.
I don't know how much my social anxiety contributed, but it certainly didn't make anything easier. I know on the odd occasion I thought some guy was cute, someone else would too, so of course I wouldn't say anything. For starters, I almost never said anything at all anyway, plus thinking someone was cute wasn't the same as like-liking them, anyway and there was no way I could take precedence over someone else who had real feelings. I felt pretty hopeless about ever being able to have a conversation with anyone of either sex, anyway. Although, somehow I managed to remain optimistic for a surprisingly long time that someday I'd meet someone I could magically talk to and I'd turn into a normal person. And win a pony.
When I was 17/18-ish, I realised this was fairly delusional thinking and tried to resign myself to being alone forever. I think I lasted a few months before I decided I had to at least pretend to have some hope to avoid being paralysed with misery.
I just remembered one of my early posts here was a list of all my awkward encounters with the opposite sex over the years, so there's no need for me to go over the development of obliviousness and avoidance as coping strategies. I'm not sure if it's just because I've trained myself to ignore such things, but I'm still occasionally surprised when people reveal that they're constantly scanning passers-by for attractive people (at least that's how I take it when they comment on the frequency of such people in a given population - is that what people do?).
So now I've managed to reach the age of 25 without ever having a crush on anyone. At least, I don't think I've ever had a crush on anyone. Sometimes I wonder if I'm expecting too much and the couple of times I've thought someone was both kind of cute and interesting count as a crush (and then I'd get alarmed because my advisor is pretty cute and interesting and incredibly nice). So now you see why I was asking questions last week. I definitely didn't feel a "physical pull" toward anyone, though, so I think I'm convinced I've never actually like-liked anyone. There are a few potential theories why not, but I'm not sure which, if any, is true.
I think the rest of this is going to take a long time to write (this has already taken quite a while and is pretty long) and it's getting late so I'm going to continue this tomorrow.
15 Comments:
I really hate to be one of those people that come along are like "Well, I had reconciled myself to living alone for the rest of my life, despite the accompanying misery, and then within a year of that met someone who is so amazing that I could never imagine living my life without," but well, it's true. But you know, even with this awesome girl, it was totally not apparent to me off the bat. It only first manifested as someone I thought was interesting and wanted to know more about. My point is not to say that you just have to be patient and someone will come along. Who knows? But my point is that I think you are expecting too much if you expect glances across a dance floor or on a crowded street to reveal much more than the color of someone's eyes.
Your asexual comment in the title also reminds me a of friend of mine. He's super social, loves to go dancing, cook for people, and throw parties, "likes" girls, dates, and is just not that interested in anything physically related to relationships. He doesn't really care or even understand what societal concepts of beauty are even about. He also always claimed that he never really had crushes. Some people just have extremely different ways of connecting with others.
This is an interesting post to read, and I am particularly interested in hearing what else you have to say about this. It's fascinating to me to learn about how others interact with the world.
don't worry, I like hearing happy stories :) But I do think there's more getting in my way than just not having met the right person. I definitely don't expect to learn anything much from a glance, it just seems like other people often manage to have feelings for someone without much more than that and in any case, I'm still confused about how the whole process starts. And I wonder if I'd figure anything out if I paid more attention to people besides myself, even superficially.
I'll get to the title part later, I think.
Hmmm, this is an interesting one. I did have some crushes, back in my misery days, but they didn't do much for either my social life or my quality of life, so I'm not sure you're missing out on anything.
I do think that sexuality is doled out on some kind of continuum, with some people being fascinated by it, and other people being left a bit puzzled as to what all the fuss is about. Those of us on the puzzled end of the continuum are made to feel like freaks in this hypersexualized culture.
The other thing is that it sounds like your family has done a very efficient job of undermining your confidence in your ability to communicate with others. It's awfully hard to negotiate sexuality under those circumstances.
Have you ever read The Bone People? It's a disturbing book on a lot of levels, but interesting in this context in that the main character eventually decides that, though she needs love and human connections, the forging of those connections doesn't change her basic asexuality. Shocking only because it makes you realize how much one expects the resolution of any narrative to include life-changing sex. Maybe it doesn't always work like that? And maybe that's ok?
I remember when my sister was totally crushing on some celebrities (Kirk Cameron, Joey McIntyre) and I just didn't get it. I made myself pick some random celebrity dude to crush on, so I, too, could put a photo from Tiger Beat or whatever teen magazine on my wall. I did not choose well. I chose some dude with a career that floundered. Really in order to have a serious crush on someone, I have to know them as a person, so like that glimpse thing isn't the thing that does it for me.
Anyhow, I like what Pilgrim has to say about this -- our culture is certainly hyper-sexualized.
It's also highly couple-ized, if that's a real word? I mean, being in a relationship takes work, and it can be worth it, but doesn't it take someone really great to be worth that kind of effort? I like to say to some of my girlfriends who complain about not being married that it takes a really good husband to be better than none.
I meant I like what Phantom has to say... I wish I could edit my own comments!
Phantom, I haven't read that book, but I just requested it from the library; it sounds interesting. I agree with what you said about the continuum, but I'm not sure if my position on the continuum is fixed, or an artifact of social anxiety etc.
B*, I didn't really get the pin-up thing either. I did have a 90210 poster when I was 11 or 12, until my mum's disapproval of the show in general and my brother's teasing made me take it down.
I know relationships take work and being in a bad one is worse than none, but nothing at all, ever does suck.
I don't think I would have been able to decide between good guy Brandon and bad boy Dylan on whom to crush. Both were just sooooo dreamy.
good guy Brandon, who turned into bad boy Jason Priestley IRL, who is on the show "Love Monkey" featured tonight on CBS.
But I didn't put up his poster, either.
they were both pretty cute, sheepish and the poster had them both! I think my mum only objected to the bad boy, actually.
Um, B*, you seem to be following Jason Priestley's career a little too closely...
I'm trying to decide if I should parse this "they were both pretty cute, sheepish and the poster had them both!" as
they were both pretty cute, sheepish, and the poster had them both!
or
they were both pretty cute; sheepish and the poster had them both!
I think I know which one I prefer.
sheepish, now I'm getting a little worried about your interest in former 90210 stars, too... go ahead and interpret the missed comma whichever way makes you happiest.
So it would be a mistake to admit that someone once gave me The "I Hate Brenda" Book? Because if so, then that totally never happened.
I think perhaps just admitting your awareness that such a book exists might even be a mistake, in fact.
Oops.
it's okay. I won't tell anyone :)
Post a Comment
<< Home