(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

lucy, the evil, heartless bitch: part four

previously on LtEHB:
prologue
drinking game
part one
part two
part three
trading cards


At one point yesterday, I said something to wolfangel about how clueless I was when applying to grad school. As soon as I said it, I realised my mistake, because I didn't want to explain why. I probably should've told the truth, but I don't deal well at all with worlds colliding and there's a big difference between typing something and saying it out loud, so I just mumbled bits of my usual RL explanation... Sorry about that, wolfa, but at least this way the answer comes with the next installment of LtEHB.
So, after the events of part three, S was keen to figure out how we could actually meet, and preferably live in the same place. I was still living in my fantasy land where all my doubts and concerns would vanish as soon as we met, so I was probably just as interested. I'd wanted to go overseas to do a PhD, since I first heard of the Rhodes scholarships. I think the motivation was definitely that someone would pay for you to live somewhere cool, rather than any idea of what a PhD actually was - other than something people who were good at school did. I think it was also a benchmark for being smart - if I were really intelligent, I could win something like that.
Anyway, by the time I got to finishing undergrad, I'd realised I wasn't anywhere near that smart, but I still wanted to do a PhD in the UK (I'd also briefly considered France, since I'd taken the French-as-a-foreign-language exams, but I realised that passing those didn't actually mean I could cope with learning anything in French). It didn't seem like too much of a change to go to the US instead, although it never had the same appeal as living in Europe (I'm still contemplating the idea of doing a post-doc in some French-speaking country (although, my French has all but disappeared in the last 4 years) or the UK).
I had no clue how to pick a grad school in the US, unfortunately. I'm not sure it would've been any easier if I'd gone to the UK, either, except that my advisor might have had some contacts. I almost applied to the UK, as well, and maybe I should have, but I was too indecisive (and intimidated by the fact that my super-dedicated and intelligent classmate wasn't having much luck with her applications) and let the deadline pass. I've since looked up programs in the UK, because I like to wallow in regrets like that. I couldn't actually find any programs that seemed to have what I'm interested in, and nothing as cool as my current project, but I probably could've found a lab I liked.
The main difference between the UK and US that I use as a reason for choosing the US, is that it seems to be the norm in the UK to approach the head of a lab you're interested in working in directly, rather than applying to a program. I was worried about picking a lab without knowing anything about it, other than the research topic, so I claim that's what made me want to come here, where you get to do a few rotations in different labs to try them out. Really, though, I never would've thought to come to the US if it weren't for S. Mainly because I could've been almost done with my PhD by now if I'd gone to the UK!
Having no other basis for choosing grad schools in the US, I picked fairly randomly based on location. I thought about applying to some places on the west coast, but it seemed like that would defeat the purpose of the going to the US at all. I also had no idea what my chances were of getting in anywhere. Luckily, there are a lot of universities within a few-state radius, so I ended up applying for a couple of Prestigious Universities, a couple of plausibly decent schools and a few embarrassingly low-tier schools. I feel horribly snobbish by calling them low-tier, but as soon as I got to the recruitment weekend here, I realised none of the other students would've even considered the plausibly decent schools as options, so I learned to avoid listing off the places I'd applied. Instead, I shift the conversation to talking about how clueless I was in general.
There were so many hoops to jump through just to apply, and I almost missed most of them. I was late registering to take the GRE, but the person administering them at my uni said I could just show up and they'd have some extra papers. In the end, the papers never arrived and while ETS would make allowances for the people who'd actually registered, I had to travel a long way to take the computer version (and therefore missed getting to do the quantitative section since they switched it to the stupid new written one right after I should've taken it). I took a subject test, and did fairly mediocrely. I paid way too much for express postage and took full advantage of the time difference to get things delivered on time.
In the end, I got into one Prestigious U and the 2 laughable ones. I think they were the only programs that didn't require interviews, too, which all contributed to my conviction that the Prestigious U acceptance was a mistake. Too bad for them if it was, though, 'cause they're stuck with me now.
During all this time, I was still trying to convince myself that everything would work out with S and I wasn't making a horrible mistake. I felt happy when I thought about how sweet and kind S was and how I could talk to him about almost anything (online at least) and I could imagine meeting him and feeling the missing attraction and everything being perfect. But I also remember feeling sad that I was missing out on the kind of super-happy, thinking-the-other-person-is-gorgeous-and-perfect love that is portrayed in movies and books. As much as I was deluding myself, I don't think I was fooling myself that I was really in love.
I knew I had more power over S, in that he definitely cared more than me, but then, if he didn't, nothing would ever have happened, because if there'd been any question about whether he liked me, I would've easily convinced myself he didn't and not even tried to talk to him. As it was, I kept testing how much he'd put up with (although I wouldn't have admitted that was what I was doing at the time). I was far more social in real life then than I had been previously, or am now. I guess it helped my confidence a lot to have someone like me that much. I'd go out with friends and come home and decide I was too tired to log on and chat. Or I'd leave our conversation to talk to someone on the phone. I was horribly needy when I was feeling miserable, too, making him spend ages reassuring me. He took my disorganisation with application things as a sign that I wasn't that committed to the idea, which was probably at least partly the case.
After I couldn't take the GRE in my city, he'd finally had enough. He said it was obvious I didn't really care about him so he didn't want to talk to me anymore. After he abrubtly left the chat room and logged off, I panicked. I really did feel like I was losing someone and something very important to me and I was desperate for him to change his mind. I sent a grovelling email saying how sorry I was that I was jeopardising our chance to be together and that I wouldn't let anything get in the way etc and he did change his mind. I kind of wish I hadn't apologised, though, or he hadn't accepted it, because then it would've been over sooner and more easily. Instead, I took my panic to mean that I was doing the right thing and really did want to be with him.
The next time I felt that panicked was for very different reasons, but that will have to wait for part five.

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Aw, you don't sound evil at all. Confused and insecure, sure. But evil? Nah.

If it makes you feel better, I had no idea what I was doing when I applied to grad school either. But it worked out ok in the end.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger pjm said...

(Not having read all the back-story, I'll avoid commenting on the main issue and instead comment on supporting details, as is my habit.)

Oddly, I hadn't clued in to your C'land accent when you told me the U you were at, and I thought you were pronouncing it the way the students do when they want to make fun of themselves.

(Worth noting: I applied there, in my different field, and was turned down. But in my field, the best program in the state is actually at University of State... who also turned me down.)

I was pretty clueless about my grad school applications, but that was because I was (still am) unsure about how (or if) I want to specialize. I was clueless about undergrad because I was clueless; both have turned out OK so far.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger jeremy said...

Yeah, I'm still sort of waiting for the part where you come across as either evil or heartless.

I also didn't know what I was doing what I applied for graduate schools. One thing I've observed is that it seems like people who don't know what they are doing but press ahead and go to Prestigious U tend to do better than those who don't know what they are doing and pass up Prestigious U.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Gah! pjm, please tell me I don't sound American!

Prestigious U is one of the 2 best programs in my field, so obviously it's working out pretty well that I'm here, but it's purely luck that I didn't end up at some dodgy uni in the middle of nowhere...

wolfa, don't worry, you weren't asking too many questions or anything. I just felt bad telling you the made up version, especially since I'm happy enough for you to know the real version now.
Some of my reasoning for thinking it would be fun to live somewhere french-speaking is that it's so much easier to learn a language properly by immersion. Except that it relies on being willing to make mistakes, so it probably wouldn't help me much. I have enough trouble with worrying about people thinking I'm an idiot in english.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

Still not getting evil here, but I am enjoying playing along with my LtEHB action figures.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger pjm said...

Oh, no, I just hadn't heard enough words from you to reach an accent conclusion. It was the dropped "r"s which threw me; they're common to a number of regional accents around here, both upper-class in this city and lower-class in the more rural areas. (The distinction comes in vowels.)

I've spoken to quite a range of Commonwealth accents in one of my sidelines, and there *is* one which can sometimes sound American if they don't land on any giveaway words.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I vote for Still Not Evil, and I add my voice to all who were clueless when applying to grad schools--fairly clueless with this program, but SUPER clueless with my MA. :)

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Margi said...

Thanks for continuing the story. Like everyone else, I ain't seeing teh evil yet. (You might need to revise your title.) And I bet most people have strung a person along who they weren't in love with out of fear of losing someone who was nonetheless important to them. (I know I have.)

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Where did Sheepish get the LtEHB action figures??? I want some!

Count me in with those not seeing teh evil around here. None of this sounds any worse than yer average romantic mismatch. I've been on both sides, and I've yet to see how you've handled this any worse than anybody else might have.

By teh way, I'm thinking that some of the inadequacy shtick here can't be entirely accurate. Last time I checked, Prestigious U. didn't admit fairly mediocre grad students. ;-)

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I know all about choosing a school / location during a time of transition based on a relationship... See! I think it's okay to let the relationship ease the transition.

I vote evil! ... Kidding! Totally kidding. So not evil. I understand the guilt, though, because someone else's feelings are involved.

Also? I didn't even understand what research was when I went to grad school, not really. I totally didn't have a clue about what universities had decent programs in my field, either. Didn't know what I was doing when I applied for grad school. I think that's normal. Did anyone really know?

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

pjm, phew :) My accent is pretty bland in general, and I don't talk much so people don't often guess right. I'm not sure I've heard a Commonwealth accent that sounds American, without the person having lived here for a while.

wolfa, I was feeling kind of bad for not asking you anything, when I was interested in hearing about you, because I tend to err on the side of assuming questions would make other people uncomfortable.

Phantom, I'm imagining Sheepish cut out the trading card pictures and made new outfits and accessories for them out of paper :)
And I know Prestigious U doesn't intend to admit mediocre grad students, but I think the way my program does admissions makes it possible for some to slip through.

I'm encouraged by being in good company with not knowing anything about grad school, thanks :). Everyone else in my program seems to have applied to the same 6 best programs in the country (even the other international students).

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger halloweenlover said...

I'm so jealous of the blogger meetup! I want to come next time!

Doesn't sound evil to me either.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Not yet evil...

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger pjm said...

The particular accent I'm thinking of was spoken by a Kiwi running for Michigan. (That should narrow things down.) The Irish (non-Commonwealth, of course,) are strongest, with the South Africans next, sharp and bright. Or a particular tall Melbourne native who almost needs a translator.

I can hear Canadian accents if I'm listening for them, but I class them in with (North) American accents; like the various U.S. dialects, they're largely driven by the origin of the European settlers predominating in a given region.

(At my best, I can pick out the Maine/New Hampshire/Boston spectrum, but it's tough.)

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Terminal Degree said...

I'm not thinking "evil" yet. :)

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still waiting for some evildoing here. If you can convince me you are evil, it will seriously improve your coolness quotient!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home