lucy, the evil, heartless bitch: part eight
previously on LtEHB
I think this is the last episode.
After I got home, I was fairly passive aggressive about avoiding S. I'd talked to him on IRC throughout my honours year when I was supposed to be doing research and writing my thesis, but now I became "too busy" to log on. I avoided the shyness group channel entirely for several months because I didn't want to admit to them that I was going to grad school in the US, for fear they'd guess the reason why. The main reason I haven't told either of the IRC friends I'm still occasionally in touch with about this blog is that I don't want them to read this story. I don't think I'm worried about S's privacy, even though they'd know instantly who I'm talking about. I think I'm just ashamed of the whole story, which also makes me feel evil.
After I arrived in the US, I still avoided contacting S for several weeks, until I finally logged onto IRC and he was there. I guess I'd kind of been hoping he'd forget about me and I could forget about him.
I agreed to see him and it was, unsurprisingly, awkward. I could see he was still hopeful that I'd eventually want to be more than friends again. He still wanted to sit too close to me and hug me too often. I tried to be friendly, but I felt crushingly guilty at having to keep making it clear that I could only be friends. I also felt bad because I didn't really want to be friends and was seeing him out of guilt and pity. I didn't have anything to say to him and he didn't have much to say either. We'd have dinner together and I'd be acutely aware that we looked like one of those couples who have nothing to say to each other, that people notice and wonder why they bother. I started making excuses to see him less often, and then I'd suggest going to movies or doing activities where it wouldn't matter that we didn't have much to talk about.
Eventually, he started to complain that we never got to talk and I had to admit that I just didn't have anything to say, and didn't feel comfortable talking to him the way I used to. I hadn't noticed him trying to talk to me about anything, but then I'm not always the most observant.
I think I must have ended up telling him I didn't think I could be friends at all, but I don't remember. In any case, I didn't see him for a few months, then just before I moved out of the dorm, he called me to complain that I'd been ignoring his emails. My old undergrad email account had finally been shut off, and I'd forgotten that he only had that address for me. If he'd waited to call, I wouldn't have been at the same phone number either, which would've made things easier for me, but worse for him, perhaps. I was going away, as well, so I said maybe we could get together after I got back, but then I really did ignore his email for a while.
I finally agreed to see him one last time and it was fine, but I still didn't feel any desire to be friends with him. He said he'd finally accepted that I wasn't going to change my mind about being more than friends, and he kept saying he would rather see me every few months or so, than never, even after I explained I didn't feel anything except guilt and regret when I saw him (I've just been rereading old emails and I sound so cruel), but I couldn't do it. I didn't see him again until earlier this year, which brings us back to the start of this series.
I can see now that I should have just been clearer in the beginning and not tried to be friends all that time. Or maybe that wouldn't have been any better... Trying to go along with as much of what S wanted as I could was an attempt to soften the blow, but that obviously didn't work.
He did say he was glad he got to be happy, if only temporarily, but the rest of his emails make me feel so guilty. What he wanted (just to hang out occasionally) sounds so reasonable, which is why I found it so hard to say no. I guess I'm still just as confused as ever.
When I saw him last time, he did say he'd been making more of an effort to be sociable and had joined some groups and things, so at least his life is slightly better than it was before I met him. I think I can take credit for some small part of that change, but it's not enough to make me stop feeling guilty.
Labels: LtEHB
12 Comments:
Oh, Lucy. How dare he make you feel so bad about yourself for so long. You never did anything wrong.
What Dr. Brazen Hussy said. He makes you feel guilty so he doesn't have to look inside himself and see that perhaps he has some issues to work on.
Let's dress him up like bamboo and feed him to the pandas.
I'd go so far as to say that, though likely unintentionally, S wants to maintain contact in an occasional, non-meaningful way precisely to make you feel guilty, to remind you of what he thinks you did to him, which was, well, to be honest. You deserve better.
Ditto ditto ditto horace. Ditto. Except I think it's at least partially intentional.
Being not-in-love with someone is just the way the cookie crumbles. Manipulating someone into feeling bad about themselves is the evil.
way to say it, Horace!
People play all kinds of emotionally manipulative games like this (as horace says, not always intentionally, or with forethought). Much of his behavior seems like it is supposed to make you feel bad. You genuinely cared about him, albeit not in the romantic way he hoped, so of course his guilt trips worked. Lots of his behavior, from the "pat a panda" tantrums, to making you reaffirm again and again that you didn't want to be with him, to complaints that you two never talked, to the self-pitying "even seeing you once a month is better than never, *sob*." All of that is supposed to make you feel bad, pity him, and decide to "do right" and be with him. It just doesn't work like that.
Trying to talk someone into being with you just never works. ("No, see, you really do like me. Really.")
Lucy, you deserve so much better than this dude. It's understandable that you got in this situation, because you both had hopes and dreams, but it's okay that it didn't work out. You don't need to feel badly about this. He is more manipulative than you. You can't feel responsible for his disappointment. That's not your fault. It's just not. It's okay that you did were not attracted to him.
I ended up going to my undergraduate institution AND going to graduate school AT ALL partially because of relationships. I think in the end the relationships served as mechanisms to help me get where I needed to be independent of the relationship, particularly because both of those relationships ended. Maybe that's true for you as well.
Thanks for telling us this story. I know it was hard for you to write, but I appreciate getting to hear about it.
Again, I totally agree with everyone else's comments! You have nothing to feel bad about - he was the one who kept pressuring you once you'd made it clear how you felt. There is NOTHING that obligates you to try to like someone you don't, or to go out with someone you don't want. I used to accept a lot of dates (well, for me, a lot! not really a lot in the grand scheme of things) because I felt like if someone liked me, I didn't have the right to reject them. And eventually I figured out, oh wait - yes, yes, I do.
Ditto to Horace, and I'm cracking up at the idea that we should dress him up like bamboo and feed him to the pandas!
Wow, am I ever saying a lot of "ditto" and "yes exactly" to the comments that have already been made here. A lot of the guilt that you're experiencing as a result of this failed relationship is because he's emotionally manipulative.
I definitely would not call you "evil" as a result of this story. And, actually, I think that you have amply demonstrated that you're the opposite of "heartless." If you were heartless, this wouldn't have bothered you at all.
And I really like what B* said about relationships acting as the catalyst for starting at some educational institution. That happened for me (well, the particular path that I took was the result of plans that I'd made within a failed relationship). We end up starting grad school for a lot of odd reasons, but we stay for other reasons altogether.
You know, I never really thought about him being manipulative and trying to make me feel guilty... It's always a lot easier to blame myself, I guess.
Thank you for making me think about this a different way.
I'm cracking up about the bamboo and pandas, too :)
I'm late here, so I'm just going to say I agree with everyone else--he was manipulative, and you are Not Evil. Also, you say, "What he wanted (just to hang out occasionally) sounds so reasonable"--but of course, as others have pointed out, that's really not all he wanted, right? That's what he made it seem like he wanted, to get what he really wanted.
Or maybe he's not manipulative, and just clueless.
Either way, I'm glad you extricated yourself, and I'm sorry it was difficult.
And thanks for writing all this--very interesting!
I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and blame most of the manipulativeness on cluelessness, but I guess that doesn't mean I should've gone along with it.
Post a Comment
<< Home