(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Friday, June 09, 2006

lucy, the evil, heartless bitch: prologue

There have been many occasions since I started this blog, when I thought maybe I would tell this story. Each time I’ve got a little closer, but ultimately, I’ve just kept ignoring it. Ignoring it hasn’t really been very helpful so far, though, so I think it’s finally time to go through the whole story. Part of why I’ve been reluctant to share it, is that I feel so guilty about how I acted and I don’t want to reveal myself to be a horrible person and have you all hate me. But at the same time, the other reason I couldn’t tell, is that I secretly want you all to read it and tell me I’m not so bad and I feel guilty wanting to be absolved of my guilt. Writing about some of my other deep, dark secrets has felt amazingly freeing, so I guess that’s what I want here, even though I think I don’t deserve it.
I think the first time I thought of telling this story was way back when PPB asked people for their best worst experience. I’m still not sure if it fits the best part of that, though. More recently, I read Curly, of ham & cheese on wry's series of posts about her first girlfriend and found myself almost recognising myself in her story of an online friendship becoming something more and ending in heartbreak (interestingly, the first post also reminds me of one of my theories). I say almost because you may remember me claiming never to have had so much as a crush, so how would I be identifying with this story of first love? I still think this doesn't count, but you mightn't agree. In any case, if I'm wrong, I'm deceiving myself as much as you. The major difference between Curly’s story and this one, though, is that I’m not the sympathetic hero of my story, but the villain.
There are multiple stories that I’ve referred to obliquely here. This is the story of the guy I tried and failed to like-like (actually, I can't find what I thought I'd said; maybe I self-censored more than I remembered), who is also the guy I ran into here, who emailed me yesterday. It’s also the story of why I’m even here in the US. I wrote once about wanting to dissociate current-me from the idiotic past-me who did incomprehensibly foolish things. This story is about that past-me.
One of the students in my program lived in Europe for a while after undergrad and when I asked her what made her decide to go overseas she said blithely, "I followed a boy". I was astounded at her honesty and at the same time terrified for her. In my head, I was yelling at her for laying herself open like that. Had she no sense of self-preservation? Of course, nobody reacted with scorn or ridicule, fear of which keeps me from telling anyone my real reason for applying to grad schools in the US. Her openness didn't inspire me to deviate from my official story, though, because it's based on so many layers of lies and secrecy that it (at least feels like it) would be disastrous to start demolishing the facade. I'm also still deeply ashamed of the whole story.
Before I start, you need to go and read Curly’s series of posts (it’s long; I’ll wait for you), so you know what the other side of my story is like (and also because her story is worth reading in itself). Then, I promise I'll start being less cryptic.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger jeremy said...

Hmm, this is certainly an interesting plot development.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

OK, I read it! Are you ready to start telling your story?

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

I read it too. Now tell! I mean, if you want. Please?

And I think I already object to your label of "villain." There's a whole world of grey between regretful actions and evil, heartless bitchery. I hope you don't mind that the title of your post makes me giggle. It's just such a non sequitur to describe yourself like that. It's like saying "Cute, fluffy rabbits... that MAIM and KILL!"

Anyway, thanks for linking to Curly's poignant story, and I'm very interested in hearing yours. There are some strong universal themes in these stories.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Terminal Degree said...

{{{Lucy}}}

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

damn, you people read too fast... I was hoping to wait a day or two. I guess I'll start writing.

wolfa, I know I would have to forgive myself, but I don't really feel like I deserve that now; I kind of want to hear what other people think, before I could even consider it.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

I agree with wolfangel about the need to forgive yourself, but also think sometimes it is necessary for others to help us trigger that self-forgiving. So I'm off to read those other posts, when will your story be up?

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Ooohh, the suspense. I want more story!

I'll postpone saying, "Don't be silly, you aren't a villain" until after I've heard the story.

But I fully agree with Sheepish. The real villains are the ones who either never come to see that their actions have caused hurt to others, or who see it and don't care. It doesn't sound to me like you are in either of those places.

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Margi said...

Well, you've certainly got my attention. No pressure or anything.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

More on villains: in Curly's story, it's pretty clear that the "villainy" is at least in part fueled by outside forces. If Curly's ex wasn't struggling with societal and family disapproval of homosexuality, the story probably would have turned out very differently.

Similarly, whatever you've done, I don't doubt that you were struggling with forces that predetermined the outcome to a certain extent. Maybe telling your story can help you see that.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Thanks for linking to Curly's posts. They're amazing.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger curly mcdimple said...

Thanks so much for linking to me, Lucy. I really appreciate it. And thanks to all of you who clicked over and read it.

Lucy, I'm really glad that you're writing your story. I think I had one mind set while writing Part One of mine but by Part Thirteen, I was in a completely different -- and better -- place. It was a truly therapeutic journey for me. I figured out a lot of stuff and made peace with other things. I hope you experience the same. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

And I too would like to add to the chorus of voices in saying that you are not a villain, nor is my ex. Life is a series of decisions and choices. No one has a proven track record of making the "right" decision every time. And "right" is relative, anyway. A decision you make that is best for you might not be perceived that way by someone else. That doesn't make you wrong. Your personal progress might result in someone else's pain but them's the breaks, you know? Eventually, it's up to the party in pain to learn from the experience and move on. Strength and character are hard-fought and satisfying victories. I came to appreciate that after long. I never thought I could feel good about what happened to me but damn, I feel amazing now. :)

Best wishes,
Curly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home